Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Had a mosaicoplasty recently  (Read 5144 times)

Offline gfighter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Had a mosaicoplasty recently
« on: May 21, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
Hi all. Tore some osteochodral cartiliage at the beginning of the year (Jan09) during judo practice. Had an arthroscopy in Feb09, was told I'd need further surgery. Had a mosaicoplasty about a month ago by same surgeon, Mr Ian Fyfe. Wound has healed nicely, but I still have to keep weight off my leg, so I'm hobbling about on crutches and laid up watching TV and playing xbox. I wondered if anyone else has had this type of surgery what was the recovery and rehab like, and timescales involved? Were you able to return to sports? Thanks.

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Had a mosaicoplasty recently
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »
Hello

I had 12 plugs done 11 months ago, was NWB for 4 weeks, partial for 6 10 weeks on crutches in total.  Started swimming at 3 weeks, cycling at about 6...............plan on doing charity long distnace bike rides etc in the future.

I am told that to recover fully takes a year, a proper year, so i am not quite there yet but will be soon. 

Any questions please feel free and i will try and answer.

Lisa
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline gfighter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:42:15 PM »
I was told I'd have to give it at least 6 months before going back to sports. I realise I'll have to take it easy at first tho. I had 2 8mm plugs. I been off my feet for a month. I been rolling back and forth on the gym ball and doing leg extensions with ankle weights. I still cant bend and push yet, so no driving. I'm just wondering how many weeks til people started walking normally and doing normal things? i'll be happy to be able to use a cross trainer right now.

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
i started driving at 7 weeks, still on my crutches.  Did the x-trainer at about 3 months.  My physio is/was quite conservative with my as my acl is still unstable so i have to protect what has been done even more.  My arthritis was about as bad as you can get.  I am though and intend being again a very active person, having run 2 marathons, walked up mountains and that sort of stuff, and although i have accepted that running will be no more, i do not intend giving up anything else, including my skiing, which is what caused the intitial injury. 

Bending came at about 7/8 weeks.  The surgeon and the physio were not bothered when that happened, prefering to wait for it to happen naturally rather than working at it.

I was walking at home around 9 weeks. 

Hope this helps!!

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline gfighter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »
Thanks, Lisa. It's been over 6 weeks since the op now. I saw the consultant the other day, he says my kneecap is tracking well and I have a good bend. He said I can start bearing weight and getting back to doing normal things, need to work on bending, stability and quad strength. I can drive and have been cycling on the exercise bike to help start things off. What can I expect progression of recovery to be? I'm still using one crutch when I need to, but am hoping to get back to work midweek next week. No twisting or pivoting for a few a months, so I wont be back to fighting for a while.

Offline gfighter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
i'm off the crutches and kinda working normally. back at work, can drive etc. walking around, still aches and pains here and there. using the excerise bike, fast walking on cross-trainer, wall slides on gym ball, rolling backwards/forwards on gym ball with one leg, leg extensions and leg curls (low, low weight), step up/down, and leg ress with elastic tension bands. trying to concentrate on getting quad/hamstring size and strength back. what's eating me, is how will i know if it's been successful, as i am still feeling aches and pains at donor site and inside of knee, where i assum the location was? i hope i'm pain free soon. is anyone pain free after this op??

Offline gfighter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »
It's coming up to 11months since surgery. In general it's fine, but I still feel aches and pains here and there. I've been having problems putting the mass and strength back on my legs, but I'll persevere through it. Balance and mobility are back. I have been wondering if anyone has used a power plate/vibration toner to help with process strengthening? I have been considering it, but obviously dont want to do any damage.

Offline ski-bum

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 06:57:52 PM »
gfighter,
It's great to hear that you are doing well.  I saw your post a while back and was wondering how your progress has gone...

I am possibly going to have an OATS procedure (hopefully just one plug-small defect) on my medial femoral condyle in the near future and would love to hear about your experience.

How old are you?  Where was your defect?  Where was your defect and where did they harvest you new cartilage from?  What type of activities are you able to do...hike, bicycle, run, return to Judo????

Do you still have pain?  When/where?  Any pain from where they took the graft?

Lot's of questions...hope not to overwhelm you!!!

Thanks in advance for all of your time and help!!!
Marc
1995-ACL Repair Left Knee
2007-Partial Meniscectomy Left Knee
2009 (April)- Microfracture Medial Femoral Condyle Left Knee

Offline gfighter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:34:24 PM »
gfighter,
It's great to hear that you are doing well.  I saw your post a while back and was wondering how your progress has gone...

I am possibly going to have an OATS procedure (hopefully just one plug-small defect) on my medial femoral condyle in the near future and would love to hear about your experience.

How old are you?  Where was your defect?  Where was your defect and where did they harvest you new cartilage from?  What type of activities are you able to do...hike, bicycle, run, return to Judo????

Do you still have pain?  When/where?  Any pain from where they took the graft?

Lot's of questions...hope not to overwhelm you!!!

Thanks in advance for all of your time and help!!!
Marc

Forgive me for being brief, I willl respond more when I have the time.

33. As far I remember, exactly the same as yours, but I needed 2 plugs in the end. The took the cartyilage from the outside of the same bone, a non-weight bearing part. I am far from recovered to be honest, but much better than I was. My main problem is that I have put on about 16kg of weight, and my legs are still not as big or as strong as I like. I can run on the cross trainer and ride a road bicycle as long as I like. I can squat with or without weights, lunges are improving. Haven't done any running on road yet. I have no issues working punchbags, speedballs, and shadowboxing etc. No skipping. DO NOT DO SISSY SQUATS - Squats with heels raised on a plank. I tried this two weeks ago, with just a bar and no weights. I have been in pain ever since. Fine motor control is not great and I get bad shin splints I walk in a hurry. I used a power plate several times at my brothers gym over christmas and my knees felt great after, so been thinking about investing in one. Feel free to ask more and I will try to answer when I can.

Offline ski-bum

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 12:12:11 AM »
gfighter-

Thanks for the info...very helpful.  I'm sure you'll get it all back!!

Big question...any pain or issues from where they took the grafts from??  Catching?

Thanks
Marc
1995-ACL Repair Left Knee
2007-Partial Meniscectomy Left Knee
2009 (April)- Microfracture Medial Femoral Condyle Left Knee

support