Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I was 8 1/2 months pregnant and and crushed my tibia plateau  (Read 823 times)

Offline jendavid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi there on March 3rd I was 8 1/2 months pregnant slipped on a bit of freezing rain on my doorstep and crushed my tibia plateau. On the 5th of March I delivered a healthy baby boy by c-section so they could perform surgery on my tibia on March 9th. I have 2 plates, 11 screws and a bone graft. I still have a major swollen foot and numbness down the inside of my right leg. Does anyone know how long this could last? I guess the swollen foot bothers me most right now. I am still non weight bearing. I see my Dr again on the 10th of June and am hoping this well by lifted at least somewhat. I am currently in physio 2x's a week. and am able to bend my leg on it's own to 108 degrees. It hurts but where there is a will there is a way :). Looking forward to any feedback especially on the swollen foot!!!
Thanks

Jenifer

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: I was 8 1/2 months pregnant and and crushed my tibia plateau
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 04:49:36 PM »
Jenifer - congradulations on your healthy son.  And welcome to the wonderful world of TPF.  The swelling and numbness is very common.  For many of us the swelling didn't go away until we became weight bearing.  You can help it along by doing ankle pumps (with OS's okay of course), this helps to get the blood flowing.  My PTs instructions were to do 3 reps of 10 every 1/2 hour.
Also drawing the alphabet with your foot helps to maintain muscle flexibility and if you raise your leg slightly when you do it it's also a great quad and calf exercise.  And of course icing and elevation.
My numbness slowly went away at about month 2 or 3, but wasn't completely gone until about 6 months out.  The nerve regeneration also seems to benefit from weight bearing.
Just remember to check out any exercises with a phone call to your OS or PT.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS