Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please advise me ,what is for the best!!  (Read 1033 times)

Offline mikeel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please advise me ,what is for the best!!
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:24:48 PM »
A little history first...
by Around 1990 I played a lot of football and had awful pains in my left knee,( i was between 24-28 when it got really bad) I cant remember the last time I ever got up from a squat position without climbing first!
 I  had a few cortizone injections around 1990  and a mri scan, although the mri said nothing was wrong!Pain said different.
 I ended up giving up sports about 1995 .
I have just started ( at 45 now ) oldies football and the pain im in is crazy ( during and after) and reminds me of why I packed it all in years ago!
Both knees grind like crazy,left one much moreso , and my kneecap is such a different shape to the right it sort of points outwards ( forward when knee is bent,the most painful position ,locked up straight is like heaven!).
Reading the posts it appears it could be a number of things  ,but any thoughts would be helpful.
Alos would it be quicker to have a private consultant or go back through my g.p again after all these years and any ideas of costs? ?
im hopeful it is the cartledge , as this seems to be rectified  easiest,is that correct?
Thanks for any help you may be able to offer,mike.

Offline lmel16

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Please advise me ,what is for the best!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:02:30 PM »
Hi Mike,

Im afraid i dont have any advice but i am too interested in anybody who has, as my husband has a very similar situation.

He too had to give up football as the pain in his knees was too great, he also has the grinding feeling and the right knee points outwards more than the left.

I am trying to persuade him to go to the G.P and then be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon but because off my knee and being out of work he doesnt want anything surgically done as we cant afford to be both not working, i also dont earn very much either. But i feel that the pain he is in isnt fair for him to carry on like this.

Mel
1998-2004 multiple subluxations R Knee
2004 dislocation R knee
2004-2009 subluxations R knee
2009 dislocation resulting in Arthroscopy and TTT

Offline mikeel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »
hI Mel,
its not looking too good for us all is it! ,but Iv just been made redundant so am out of work at present ,I guess this would be the ideal time for myself to get seen too  ,between ( hopefully ) jobs!!
I deffo think he should go se the g.p ,as its not going to get any better ,only worse and like me he will prob do himself much more damage in the long term.but finances sadly do rule dont they.
But to be honest , i dont think cortizone was a good idea ,great for a day or two  but nothing else and his best advice was to tell me to stop running about so much, that was it. mid 20s to stop,not the best thing is it? so carried on.
lets see what someone with more knowledge than us has to say,hopefully we will get a few replies ! :)

Offline MedicMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:05:52 AM »
I don't know how much help I will be here, but I have had the grinding knees for yrs.  I am 38 now and finally have been to my GP and had an MRI done.  The grinding knees was not the reason for the visit to my GP , it was for a knee injury at work. 

Anyway, like I said, I've had grinding knees for yrs, the pain and grinding have gotten substantialy worse over the years.   My MRI showed that I have degenerative changes to the cartilidge of the joint itself and the patella, also have patella alta and maltracking.  As a result of so many yrs of grinding, my lateral femoryle condyle is deficient and the patella /femoral groove is flattened and foreshortend on the lateral side which puts me at high risk for lateral dislocations of my knee cap.

Anyway, the grinding noise you hear is bone on bone, with me, it's my knee cap grinding on my femor and the pain is caused by bone rubbing on bone.  It sounds to me like you may have some osteoarthritis in there and a trip to your GP would be a good idea.  Antinflamitories such as Advil might help with the pain and icing the joint.   It's unfortunate that you do have to worry about the cost,  we canadians take that for granted I guess because we never have to worry about what it costs.

It's not gonna get any better on it's own so if you can afford to go I would see the doc.....you're only 45 yrs old and need to keep your knees for a few yrs yet.

good luck
March 09 Bilateral Early compatmental OA
March 09 Medial/Lateral Meniscal Tear of RT knee with patellofemoral chondromalacia and ligament strain.
April 09  Patella Alta RK, deficiant femoral condyle RK, laterally flattened and foreshortened patellar groove RK
Feb 3rd 2010 TTT, menisectomy