Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee pain 3 months after surgery  (Read 1545 times)

Offline smartdriver

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Knee pain 3 months after surgery
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:18:02 AM »
A few years ago I fell on my left knee.  At the time, it didn't bother me so I never went to the doctor.  Well, the pain started about 14 months ago and kept getting worse.  It felt like a knife had been implanted in the outside of my left knee (towards the bottom of my kneecap).  I went to an OS who took x-rays, but they showed nothing.  He said it was an IT band issue, and gave me some exercises and a knee brace to wear.  Well, neither worked.  The knee brace actually made my knee ache worse!  It has a soft bar which presses against my kneecap to keep it aligned.  I went back, told him the brace made it feel worse, so he sent me to physical therapy for 4 months.  Well, that didn't make a difference either.

After my 3rd visit, they did an MRI on my knee, but according to the OS, it didn't show anything.  In the meantime, the pain kept getting worse.  I can't sit with my knee bent at a 90 degree angle without taking NSAIDS!  Walking up and down stairs is also extremely painful and my knee makes "crunching" sounds then too.  I can't do any type of kneeling, squatting, lunging (I am fairly active) without a very sharp stabbing pain in my knee.  The pain is more on the side/front of my knee than in the back of my knee.

I finally went to another OS with my MRI results.  He moved my kneecap around (painful!) and said that the back of my kneecap was probably "rough" (sorry for the terminology!) and that it needed to be smoothed out.  He said it wouldn't get better on its own.  The options were cortisone injections or surgery.  Not wanting either, I decided to wait.  The pain finally got so bad that I opted for surgery - a year after the initial pain started.

Now, my knee feels worse and I am in more pain than before surgery.  The OS said that he did what needed to be done, showed me the pics from before and after surgery and how "clean and smooth" my knee was now.  (Basically, it isn't his fault that my knee is still in pain).  I keep telling him that every time he presses on the outside area of my knee that it aches so bad, I actually feel nauseated.  But, this is of no concern to him.  He told me that what's done is done and I need to move on.  I'm pretty much in pain now 24/7.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next - get a 3rd opinion?  How long do I wait after surgery to see if it is going to get any better?  My family doctor felt around my knee and he thinks I have a detached meniscus...would that have shown on an MRI or would the OS have seen that when I had my arthroscopy?

My OS said that I would need cortisone injections, even after surgery (he never told me that prior though).  I really don't want to go down the injection path from everything I have read.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Knee pain 3 months after surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:20:58 PM »
You may want to get another opinion, but may need to wait until at least 6 months out.  That's when they say most of the healing has occured.  Did the OS do anything other than a simple smoothing type procedure?  You may still indeed have an IT band problem.  It can be very painful as it gets very tight and sore.  You may also have had some very deep lesions on the kneecap and may not have much cartilage left which can be painful too (that's where I am).  Did your family doc order another MRI, CT scan or x-rays?  There could be many reasons for the pain and it is so discouraging to have your OS tell you to basically just suck it up.  That is not a very good answer.  Best of luck to you and I hope you can find some answers.

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

kn33g33k

Re: Knee pain 3 months after surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:09:55 AM »
smartdriver, did you ever resolve your issue? I hope you found another doctor, your surgeon doesn't sound like he cares at all.