Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Constant achey knee pain. Advice please.  (Read 1134 times)

Offline howitz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Constant achey knee pain. Advice please.
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:14:18 PM »
I was at a concert 3 weeks ago, and I jumped off a stage probably 4 feet high and landed right on my feet with my knees bent, but when i landed, i had this terrible pain hit my left knee, and it hasnt gone away since.  I went to two doctors, and they both assume i have bruised cartilage, but this seems to have gone on way too long.  I got an x ray and there werent any cracks in the bone, so I dont know.  Anti inflamitorys dont help, and neither does ice or heat.  The only thing that helps a little is laying down, but Im a very active person (only 17 years old, not over weight at all) and its difficult to put my life on hold to lay in bed all day.

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
Re: Constant achey knee pain. Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:27:25 PM »
Hey there, so you jumped from a 4 feet high surface to the ground and the pain was immidiate and bad, right? I have had my share of knee probs 6 scopes and getting ready for either a Partial knee replacement or surgery thats called ACI. Knee trob since the age of 14 and i m 40 now always sports injuries.  Enough bout me, now what I think you really need to do is go back to the OS (ortho) and demand an MRI, you need one, thats the only way you can tell whats wrong with underlyin tissues cartilage ligaments and such.  I know a lady who did something very simular to what you did and she had a osteochondral impaction fracture.  Those are no fun (what Im dealing with know), so you need to not take no for an answer for that MRI, remember the docs work for us we or our insurance pays them, so if you push it youll get the MRI, if not go to a diff ortho.  Good luck and keep us posted ok Id like to know what is wrong with ya.
PEACE & LOVE
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline howitz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:44:53 AM »
wow, scary stuff...ill be sure to push for an MRI.  How long did it take your friend to heal?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »
I would see an OS straight away rather then leaving it any longer as it could get worse and best get it sorted sooner rather then lator. I waited over 18 months to see an OS when I injured my right knee as my MRI scan came up normal but as soon as I saw the OS he spotted the problem straight away while my PT could not locate the pain. I hope your MRI does show a problem rather then come up normal like mine did as it never picked up any damage at the bottom of my kneecap that my OS spotted straight away during examination.

Have you seen a physio yet that can be helpful but not experts and think you should see an OS rather the a physio at this stage as you are still young so if you did need something done to the knee should recover well as you have your age on your side and heal quicker then us older members. I wasted my time with my physio and should have seen an OS straight away and dont want others to go through what I had to go through as it can affect you mentally and physically. Even if MRI comes up normal can still have a problem inside the knee as I found out when I saw my OS 3 weeks ago.

Good luck and keep us updated as Michele pointed out.

Nick :) {2009} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline howitz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:53:34 AM »
Sorry if this sound stupid, but just to make sure...OS stands for orthopedic surgeon, correct?

Offline howitz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 05:50:10 AM »
oh, and another question.  Ive seen an orthopedic doctor, who did the whole exam involving "torquing" my knee, feeling the sides for tenderness, etc.  is there a difference between an orthopedic surgeon and an orthopedic dr?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »
Hi again,

Yes you are right OS stands for Orthopaedic Surgeon who mainly perfoms surgery and then there a Sports Physician which you may well have seen. Sports Physician I think trys no operative treatments while an OS will perform a scope or open surgery My advise to you would be to see an OS with regards to your knee problem rather then a Sports Physician and get a referral from your GP to see an OS if you not already seeing one. Its also good to get a 2nd opinion from another OS as he/she may find a problem that the 1st OS missed out.

Good luck and get it sorted soon as you still so young and dont want it causing probems throughout your life. Once you got it treated and sorted out hopefully that will be the last of your knee problems.

Nick :) {2009} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support