Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Scar Tissue?  (Read 909 times)

Offline friendlyface

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Scar Tissue?
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »
Hello all.
Im new on here and I was hoping someone could shed some light on my problem (apologises if this has been posted before).
I have had a repair on my left knee meniscus. This was over 3 week now.
Up to last week ive had a lot of swelling but this week it has gone down.
Since the op ive been doing my light exercises (no limp now) and to date can just about pull up my leg in the horizontal position (90 degree).
My problem is the entry point on the inside of my knee , (the other side is fine) it is lumpy and is where my pain is. Is this the healing process? or is something amiss that I need to know about as I like to keep up with my exercises even though it bl**dy uncomfortable!
A medical friend of mine said it could be scar tissue, but I thought scar tissue happens on more severe surgery...not keyhole!
My brother -in - laws dad was back at work within a week  with keyhole surgery and hes 62! ... im 41 and thought my recovery would of been quick...how wrong I was! 
Im not due back to see the surgeon for another 2 week so any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
Re: Scar Tissue?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:37:59 PM »
Hey there not sure i can be of much help but I know with me (ive had 6 scopes all for meniscal tears x one it was microfracture) anyway, I have always been told that there was a lot of scar tissue that had to be removed.  My last scope was suppose to be an OATS the damage ws too extensive so now I either gotta have ACI or PKR, anyway she gave me pics of my surgery and she was able to do debridment and scar tissue removal.  So I am having trouble understanding if it is scar tissue why it wasnt removed.  That makes me think that its not scar tissue ya know?  Why dont you just go ahead and call your OS nurse or assistant and tell me your story she will pass it on to the OS and theyll call you back.  Now thats in a perfect world.  You may just go ahead and make an appt.  I have had popping locking and lotsof pain for about a week my surgery scope was 2 weeks ago.  Had my post op Tuesday with the OS PA, toldhim about the the above prob ( didnt have this prob prior to scope) and I went on asking other questions, and didnt realize he never answered my question!! So I guess I will call and see what I can find out.  But sugar you got something going on there that needs attention so good luck and keep us posted ok.
PEACE & LOVE
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:02:17 AM »
Hi Friendly,

From your post, I gather that it is the arthroscope entry point that's lumpy?  Anytime, anything goes into your knee, it can cause some scarring.  No doubt, that's the portal where the doc did most of the work out of and it's bound to be majorly irritated.  To be sure, you should check with your OS, but at three weeks post op, you should be able to gently rub that area with some oil.  The other suggestion I have, since it is conceivable that portal holes scar up, is to ask for a Physical Therapy referral and they should be able to massage that area (it may hurt) to break up any scarring that's occurred.
Everyone recuperates differently from surgery, even arthroscopic surgery. Depending on the trimming done, and the irritation caused, your body may have reacted with some extra, heavy duty swelling, which just takes a little more time to be absorbed.  Is there any "heat" in your knee?  Do you ice it?  Spend some time everyday with it propped up?  Ice is your friend!!!!

Good luck,

marjan

Offline friendlyface

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:02:01 AM »
Many thanks for your reply s especially your reply Marjan.
Swelling HAS been a problem Marjan and has stopped me from regular exercising which I know is critical to my recovery.
There is some heat in my knee as you suggested, and yes I do ice it after my exercises and prop my leg up in the evenings or during the day ...if and when I can! and it gives me great relief !
Everyday the knee is getting better and stronger.
I am back at the hospital in a little over a week to see the surgeon, as long as the portal is scarring I will carry on with my rehab!
Thanks again for your replies to my post, its my first op at 41 and its good to here the views of other who are in the same position as me!
As for you Michelel....how do you put up with 6 scopes!!! ......ive had one and HOPEFULLY the bl**dy last!!!
Best wishes and good luck...friendlyface.