Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondromalacia Patella? HELP?  (Read 847 times)

Offline rneale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondromalacia Patella? HELP?
« on: May 13, 2009, 05:08:52 PM »
Hi :)

Recently i visited the doctors as i wanted to get my right knee checked out as it was clicking when bent.. after seeing the doctor i was told that my joints were hypermobile including my leg.. he told me that i had a suspected chondromalacia patella however i do not have any pain and i have been looking into it and suspect it more to be Hypermobile Patella ? .. i have been booked in for phisio soon to determine what it is for sure.. since going to the doctors i have notice that when i lie down my right leg almost flops to one side whilst my other leg stays upright is this somethign to be worried about? i was just wondering if anyone has had any simular to this? also i would like to know what my treatment will probably be and whether it will affect me in later life as im only 18 years old and love my sport

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:11:14 PM by rneale »

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Chondromalacia Patella? HELP?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »
Hi Meale,

If you have hypermobile joints then your best bet is to get your muscles as strong as possible, to hold those joints into place.  The fact that you do not have pain is wonderful.  Good for you for having this checked out now, and even asking about your future. Many of us here were quite active when we were younger, and I know that had I been a bit more cognizant of muscles/joints/tendons, etc, I *might* have been able to stave off serious knee problems.

Getting in with a good physio is really important.  They should be able to give you an exercise plan that you can do to increase/maintain your muscle strength.  If your joints are very mobile, it's not surprising that one leg "flops" a bit to the side, your hip joint might just be more comfortable in that position.  I hope you'll focus on your whole lower body, hips/knees/ankles for they all play a part. 

You sound smart and I can only add that you BE SMART when you do your sport.  Don't go overboard....play hard AND smart.  Warm up, brace if you need to, cool down and stay in good shape, and while no one should be too tentative to do sport, remember that if there's a possibility of some issues, don't sacrifice your body for a single moment!

Good luck.......hope the physio is of help.  If not........find another........you need to "click" with them, they need to be on your side!

marjan

Offline rneale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 07:33:06 PM »
Thanks for you reply marjan..  :)  as regards to exercise i always do stretches before and i would never push myself too far..  i have had a click in my right knee for months but only recently decided to get it checked out just hope the physio can get rid of the click as it can be really annoying especially when i row! is it possible for physio to get rid of a click in the knee after i had the problem for so long?

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:22:21 PM »
Meale,
Clicks can mean many things.  There might be some irritation in your knee, your IT band (runs along the outside of your thigh) might be very tight and it's clicking near the knee, or there might be a bit of meniscal cartilage snapping.  If you have no pain, then there's a great possibility that you have some temporary issues going on. 
This is where a good physio is important.  Muscle strength is one thing, muscle balance is another.  If the sport you do most often is rowing, then you may have to do some cross training so that the muscles that are not getting strengthened (as much) with rowing also get worked.  I hope your physio WILL look at your entire leg, not just the knee.  Hip flexors play an important part in knee strength/health.  Balanced hamstrings/quads is important also.  Does your knee cap (patella) track correctly?  Does the clicking only occur when you row, when you are just walking, or can you be in a chair, straighten your leg and make it click?
If possible, see if you can remember when it started?  Were you doing some activity?  Did you overdo lifting something?  Then, if possible, try to modify your routine a bit.....in many ways.  If you carry your rowing shell on one side, try carrying it on the other side (that's true for any heavy, awkward objects), If you've started lifting weights for instance, back off on the weight, or change the routine.  I guess what I'm saying is that if it's just irritated because of some change you've made, you need to try and find out what it is.
I hope you'll find an "ah ha" moment and that you can modify whatever it is you're doing to make the click go away.  In the meantime, read up on muscle balancing and protecting your joints with good muscle strength.

good luck,

marjan

Offline rneale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:00:42 AM »
hi thanks again.. to be honest i think it might be my IT band as when i lie down its uncomfortable and almost feels like my muscles are tensing on one side of my leg.. i think most of my problems come from my hypermobile joints as i suffered from back pain too when i was 15 and i still get pains and aches even now i have just a slight ache  :(..  the trouble for my knee i cannot relate it back to a specific fall or injury and as it been going on for maybe a few years and when i was young i just kind of ignored it.. the only time the clicking happens is when my leg bends past a certain point i can feel it almost go stiff then it clicks then it eases up

support