Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medial Meniscus Tear, but pain in other areas too?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial Meniscus Tear, but pain in other areas too?
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:00:52 AM »
Hi All,

My most recent MRI report showed a tear in my medial meniscus.  The actual text was :
"Oblique undersurface tear involving the posterior horn medial meniscus. This extends to the    
posterior aspect of the body segment.  Lateral meniscus is iintact. "   

I will most likely be having surgery to trim the torn area in the next 4-6 weeks.

My question is - I notice that the pain from this seems to move around in my knee.  Initially, it was
mostly at the inside edge (medial area), but I often feel pain around the front as well -especially
when standing still and bearing weight for more than a few minutes. Sometimes the pain is slightly
above the kneecap and sometimes slightly below it.  Many times there is no pain at all !

Does this sound normal?  Does pain move around (or radiate out)  like this from one meniscal tear? As it's a medial tear,
why does my knee cap area (and above/below) sometimes hurt ?  Could the tear be moving across the
meniscus?

The MRI report stated that everything else looked ok (at the time anyway - about 3 weeks ago). 

Thanks much for any ideas!

-- Dan

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:18:50 AM by dhy063 »
torn meniscus

Offline lizzie1966

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Medial Meniscus Tear, but pain in other areas too?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »
Dan

I'm new here, new to having a knee injury- probable meniscus tear, awaiting scan results, so really dont know ..... but mine does exactly the same!!

Not sure if that helps !

Lizzie

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Medial Meniscus Tear, but pain in other areas too?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:25:33 PM »
Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for your note. I hope  your MRI results come back better than expected!  I do hear that some people get lucky and find they've just strained something and can use rest, etc to recover. That would be nice! ;-)

When I first went to the doctor about my knee and he asked where exactly it hurt, I had to tell him  "in various places ... depends on the time of day and what I'm doing!"  :)   It turned out to be a meniscal tear at the inside of the knee, but I sure do wonder why I can sometimes feel the pain in other places on the knee.  And sometimes not.  I'm not sure if pain just spreads like that... but it sure is strange!
torn meniscus