Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Leg extension after TKR  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Batteneye

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Leg extension after TKR
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:13:35 AM »
Hi one and all. This is my first post as I only joined up this morning.
I am about 15 weeks past a RTKR and progress to recovery has been reasonable. I have flex of about 115 degrees, but I can't get my leg straight however hard I try. I have a 3 inch gap behind the knee when sitting on the floor. Walking is not too bad although downhill is tricky. My OS says, "be patient" but I have my doubts about ever getting the leg straight. I am using weights on it and getting plenty of exercise, but nothing works. Is surgery possible or advisory? i would really appreciate some advice on this.

Also, is there anywhere I can turn to for a glossary of terms used on this site? I am slowly picking up one or two but would like to expedite the process.

Thanks

John (aged 72)

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Leg extension after TKR
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 01:24:59 PM »
Hey John!  For your extension, are you doing prone hangs, where you lay on your belly with your knee hanging off the table or bed or whatever you use, and let gravity work on your leg?  You can start this without weights and then progress to weight as you're able.  Are you doing any formal PT?  Your extension is very important for a normal gait...which is very important for the rest of your joints. 

~dig

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »
Here is a link to the dictionary - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/932
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »
The exercise glossary may also be useful to you - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1125
--
KNEEguru

Offline Batteneye

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
Thanks, folks, for responding to my questions. I don't tend to do the knee hanging because using weights requires another person to help and my wife is never at home. I support my leg at ankle and hip and then hang 10lbs of weight just above and below the knee until it gets too painful. Will that do the trick?

John

Offline Batteneye

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:58:06 PM »
Does anyone know what is preventing my complete leg extension? Is keyhole surgery at the back of the knee necessary or possible? Bearing in mind how important it is to get full extension, what are the consequences?

Thanks again

John

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:28:38 AM »
I can't say why you're not getting full extension.  It may just be stiffness that hasn't been worked out.  That would be good, because you can work with that by just doing what you're doing.  I didn't do so great with my extension until I did prone hangs though.  I think it was too easy for my quads to fight the pain of extension until I did the prone hangs.  That doesn't mean it's the same for you.  The fear is that there's scar tissue that's inhibiting your extension.  That's not all THAT common with TKA, but it happens.  When that's the case, no amount of stretching will fix it.  Your bone doctor must not have been too concerned about that, though, since he said to be patient.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  It might be a tad painful, but I'm hoping that you'll get this worked through easily enough.

~dig

Offline Batteneye

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 07:36:06 AM »
Thanks Dig. I guess I'll have to try the prone hangs. I'm not looking forward to it. I'm making no progress at all with my present method.

John