Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Rest, pain and more rest ??  (Read 808 times)

Offline lizzie1966

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rest, pain and more rest ??
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:35:04 PM »
Hi everyone, I’m new and need a bit of advice and support please.

Mid Feb, while at work, picked up something off the floor from under a desk, got up and couldn’t weight bear. This went on for 4 weeks, saw A&E, referral team, had x ray. Since then can now just about walk unaided – very slowly and with limp. So was told to rest.

Have seen consultant, who said torn meniscus with osteoarthritis, he arranged MRI, signed me off work again and told me to rest.

Back several times to GP to increase painkillers and diagnose bakers cyst and told to rest! Tried going back to work on light duties – pain increased, saw GP – signed off and told to rest!

Have appt in 10days with consultant to get MRI results but previously said would need arthroscopy anyway but likely to be another 10 week wait.

So my questions
•   Is it normal to have to rest this much. (although it does help with pain relief)
•   Can I use an exercise bike. (trying not to put on weight)
•   I have to be entirely fit and back to normal by mid sept, is this possible with these timescales.

I am aware that the consultant should be able to answer all these but the people on here seem to have so much experience and its tough sometimes putting up with this constant pain.

Thanks in advance.

Offline sparrow_radio

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Rest, pain and more rest ??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »
Hey, that doesn't sound fun :(

I'm new here too, but I totally understand your frustration. The thing about resting is that if it helps, then it's probably a good thing-- at least until you know where you stand. I would say try the exercise bike if you want to - but start really gently and if it hurts then stop. Can you swim? If you've got the time to, then that might be good.
As for being fit by September - I honestly think the best thing to do is not stress about it yet - (btw I'm such a hypocrite with this advice, I'm totally saying the same as you) - hopefully the MRI will give a clearer idea of what's going on, so then you can plan the next few months accordingly. Just out of curiosity, what are you doing mid-september??!

I hope you feel better soon :)

Sparrow

Offline lizzie1966

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply Sparrow

Am starting Uni end of sept hence why need to be fit. and its taken me so long to get there (really was born 1966!!)so am desperate not to have to delay it.

Anyway will wait for mri results and have fingers firmly crossed.

Hope your doing ok

Lizzie

Offline sparrow_radio

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
Hey Lizzie,

Oh, that's well exciting - about uni, I mean. What are you going to study?
I would really say try not to think about it much yet (although I know how hard that is) - depending on your degree you might not need to be back to 100% fitness (although I know that some degrees can be quite physically demanding) to start in September. In a worst case scenario, you could probably defer your entry to September 2010.

I'll cross my fingers for you too :)

Sparrow

support