Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medial Meniscus Tear, but pain in other areas too?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial Meniscus Tear, but pain in other areas too?
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:00:52 AM »
Hi All,

My most recent MRI report showed a tear in my medial meniscus.  The actual text was :
"Oblique undersurface tear involving the posterior horn medial meniscus. This extends to the    
posterior aspect of the body segment.  Lateral meniscus is iintact. "   

I will most likely be having surgery to trim the torn area in the next 4-6 weeks.

My question is - I notice that the pain from this seems to move around in my knee.  Initially, it was
mostly at the inside edge (medial area), but I often feel pain around the front as well -especially
when standing still and bearing weight for more than a few minutes. Sometimes the pain is slightly
above the kneecap and sometimes slightly below it.  Many times there is no pain at all !

Does this sound normal?  Does pain move around (or radiate out)  like this from one meniscal tear? As it's a medial tear,
why does my knee cap area (and above/below) sometimes hurt ?  Could the tear be moving across the
meniscus?

The MRI report stated that everything else looked ok (at the time anyway - about 3 weeks ago). 

Thanks much for any ideas!

-- Dan

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:18:50 AM by dhy063 »
torn meniscus

Offline lizzie1966

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Medial Meniscus Tear, but pain in other areas too?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »
Dan

I'm new here, new to having a knee injury- probable meniscus tear, awaiting scan results, so really dont know ..... but mine does exactly the same!!

Not sure if that helps !

Lizzie

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Medial Meniscus Tear, but pain in other areas too?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:25:33 PM »
Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for your note. I hope  your MRI results come back better than expected!  I do hear that some people get lucky and find they've just strained something and can use rest, etc to recover. That would be nice! ;-)

When I first went to the doctor about my knee and he asked where exactly it hurt, I had to tell him  "in various places ... depends on the time of day and what I'm doing!"  :)   It turned out to be a meniscal tear at the inside of the knee, but I sure do wonder why I can sometimes feel the pain in other places on the knee.  And sometimes not.  I'm not sure if pain just spreads like that... but it sure is strange!
torn meniscus

support