Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I am having a MUA on momday and have questions!!!!  (Read 3096 times)

Offline rkneepain

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • I pray My cat doesn't trip me on my crutches!
Re: I am having a MUA on momday and have questions!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 04:29:05 AM »
Hi Karen,
              My goodness sounds like my PT except for the weights.  I finally got all the way around the bike today(thurs)  Yay!!!  My pt say she can bend me to 125  I just close my eyes so I dont cry.  I have to take a percocet now before PT, it is so painful, plus I am trying to do one crutch.  GRRR!  It is so frustrating.  I was at 75 deg before my sx, now maybe at 125.  Don't give up hope!  Did they have you on a cpm machine at the hosp or at home?  That helped me alot, it still does.  I just keep trying to bend it as much as possible, even in bed on my side. I take my other foot and push my leg with it to bend it a little at a time.  Don't give up it will come, hopefully therapy and your hard work will get you there.  My knee still cracks, and crunches, my pt says it could be the scar tissue breaking up.  It feels so gross.  I saw that your a vet assist, i'm a vet tech in a emergency animal hosp.  Well, thats what I was doing 7mo ago.  I miss my job.  I don't know either if I can do my job with this knee.  I was always on the floor wrangling big doggies for restraint, and running down the hall with crazy cats that are trying to kill me!!!!!!  I don't know about big dogs taking me for a walk anymore, or kneeling on the floor trying to put an IV in.  It is so sad to think about giving up something I love.  Well I am off to bed it is 1230 am and I have PT at 830 in the am...how fun for me ha-ha.

I hope you have a nice weekend!  Your doing great...keep bending that knee even if it hurts, I know it sucks...i'm right there with you trying to bend mine!

Karen......

Offline tigerbear17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 04:49:15 AM »
I thank you for the advise. I do not have a cpm at home I just take a loratab and go for it 2x daily with my home exercises. I injured my knee at work , I too was always on the floor with the dig doggies, just trying to keep them still with my 120 lbs. I don't know if I can ever go back to thak kind of work again. I still can't kneel or squat or even walk at a fast hobble anymore!!!!I see my OS next week and we will see where it ghoes from there. I think something else needs to be done with this knee. I know my injury is not bad, but to me it has been a life altering experience!!!If is never gets better I guess I'll have to live with it the way it is. Hopefully something can be done to make things a little better. Thanks Karen

Offline tigerbear17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 03:16:15 AM »
Hi everyone!! Today my knee seems a little less brused and the swelling is down too. I am still getting stuck at the same point when I do my streatches. How long is it gonna take to see just how far I can get this knee to bend???? I go to pt 2x a week and then I will see the OS this friday. I am getting fustrated with the lack of improvement I see at this point. I just am afraid to push it too far and do more damage to myself...I am my own worst enemy sometimes!!!!!I will continue to do my at home exercises with the pain meds as well as elevating and icing the knee throught the day. Today was the frist time in a week I actually went out of the house, I did not take my pain meds when I drive of course cuz they make me a bit loopy!!!!I seem to be having pain when I try to walk at a somewhat normal pace on the back if the knee as well as the lateral side of the kneecap itself. I guess I  just have to stop trying to keep pace with my guy!! Oh well everyone please get out there and try to enjoy the weekend.       Thanks    Karen

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 12:37:15 AM »
Hi Karen,
I know my AF surgeon said not to do anything that causes pain after my LOA. That mean't for me I was on crutches 30% WB for 6 weeks! Icing every two hours up to 6x a day and elevating it all day long.  It mean't just chillin on the couch even though that was hard. Also, I was doing patella mobes 6 times a day. Bike with no resistence. Wall slides but I was never allowed to force the knee into flexion. The term no pain no gain does not apply to AF patients according to his specialized pt regimen.

After my MUA, which was successful in terms of flexion (but completely ruined my knee otherwise) I was going to pt everyday so they can bend me. The bike does seem to help I know. I can imagine how not being able to bend for so long would effect everything. I hope things get better. Don't lose hope it eventually will. I am 2 years out of my original surgery and things still improve daily. -Summer

Offline tigerbear17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 08:47:52 PM »
Hi Summer, Thanks for all the good advise. I go back to pt tomorrow, I still do my at home exercises 2x daily and I will let you guys know what they think I should be doing now. I see the OS this friday for my follow up apt. I am just wondering if the MUA did break anything up at all, and if my ROM is still stuck what the next step is????My knee is finally starting to loose some of the bruises and swelling from the MUA, I still seem STUCK...and that is what really aggrovates me. No matter what I try to do or they do to me at pt it seems to be at the same place. I can only get to 90 degrees by myself and if they really push me, they can get me to 105 degrees. Oh well lets see what they say tomorrow and then what the OS wants to do on friday. Thanks again all.      Karen

Offline tigerbear17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 05:22:33 AM »
Hi... well I had my post op appt today. In the office my OS said he got me to 120 degrees on the table during the MUA. When he did some measurements in the office he could only get me to 97 degrees. After that he sent me for another x-ray to rule out any bone related problems, it turns out that I have a small hairline fracture in the same spot that I initially fractured when I fell last year. He said this is not the cause of my flexation problems and he has no idea what is wrong with my knee. I am going for a MRI sometime next week. He has told me to put my pt on hold as of right now and not to do anything to further aggrovate my knee. I have been doing regular pt aggressivly for almost a year now I have no idea what is next for me and this knee. Anybody have any clues????? Thanks again,      Karen

Offline rkneepain

• Forum Faithful
  • I pray My cat doesn't trip me on my crutches!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »
Hey Karen.....
                    I am holding my breath with you!  Goodness, a hairline fracture added on.  Well let's wait and see what the MRI revels!  I do hope you get some answers, I know it's not easy but try to hang in there.  Keep us posted.

Sending my best....
  Karen.............

Offline tigerbear17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »
Hi  there everyone. I had another visit with my OS this week and after feeling my knee and doing some measurements he said he has no idea what is wrong with my knee. I had my MRI done yesterday and I have another appt to see the OS next week for the results. While walking down the stairs today I felt a sharp pain and a popping in the knee, what did I do now???? I still have pain in the back of the knee also on the lateral side and lots of pain on the kneecap and patella itself. I also have the same restrictions as well as limitations on flexing and straightening the knee. I have been on hold with pt for 4 weeks now, I do still do most of my at home streatches daily. Just wanted to give some updates, thanks for all the help and info here. It really helps talking to someone who understands !!!!! Thanks again   Karen

Offline tigerbear17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
H...I finally got to meet with my OS today with the results of my MRI. He said there is a signafficent amount of fibrosis tissue around the entire patella itself as well as the patella tendon and also the acl??? He told me he was going to put in a request for a open knee surgery to remove all the scar tissue surrounding the knee as well as the tendons. The MUA I has was supposed to help break down the scar tissue, he said is it possable it only aggrovated the condition!!!! WHAT NOW!!!!!!I do  not have a copy of the MRI report, the office is going to mail it to me. So I do appologise if I am misspelling any of these terms here. I was also told to stop doing anything to aggrovate the knee any further...I just don't know what he means by this. I have not gone to pt for over 5 weeks now. Am I just supposed to sit anound and do nothing??? Any advise please on what to do next and what is ahead for me with and kind of surgery in the future!!! Thanks again  Karen

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 05:00:20 AM »
Hi Karen,
I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm not an expert but it is probably better for you to rest. You should personal message some of the memebers on this board that have fought AF longer than I had. Maybe they can provide you with better insight. One thing when they do scar tissue removal the AF experts try to make it as non invasive as possible causing less trauma can = less scar tissue regrowth. Just a thought......is there anyway you could go to Dr. Steadman or one of the experts on this board? Good luck