Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help and advice going back to training  (Read 803 times)

Offline SBUR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help and advice going back to training
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:27:03 AM »
Hi All

i need some advice about 2 years ago i dislocated my patela and tore my MCL. 12 months ago i had keyhole to remove some chipped bone under the patela and to tighten the knee cap. i am a 29 year old male.

i have recently started training again as the knee has been a lot better. However as the muscles in my leg are building i am starting to feel presure on my patela as if it is being pushed to the outside of the knee to the outside of my leg (this is my right knee)

Could this be that the muscles are developing in different ways as such the large muscles that runs down the from inside of the leg getting bigger and pushing my Patela to the outside edge.

i have mainly been on the cross trainer and walking on the tredmill. i know that i need to make sure that my VMO is strong to hold the knee cap in place but my other knee seems to be fine.

Could this be the type of training that i am doing or is there other exercises that i should be doing. i am looking to start back with Martial arts but i am worried that my training will end up with be dislocating again.

Please any help or info would be great.

Thanks in advance

Offline whatever

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Help and advice going back to training
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:11:51 PM »
Hi SBUR: I had many problems with my knee and many surgeries. I had my patella also move off to the side. I went in for a scope and ended up with my vastis medialis cut and shortened in order to keep my knee tracking centrally. It was a god awfull surgery with alot of physical therapy. Electrical stimulation to get my muscles firing again.  After that awfull experience i went in for a fulkersons procedure wich was a walk in the park for me. My knee still dislocates sometimes, for me and its fustrating as heck. Maybe see about getting a patellar stabilizer for your knee. I wish you the best of luck with your knee.  Take care Irene

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »
Couple of things.....
The VMO is the first to disappear and the last to come back after an injury/surgery. It's a tough one to build up and just takes time.
 As your quad gets stronger, the patella is actually pushed down on the trochlear groove with a bit more force.  To counteract this, be sure to build your hamstrings up as much as you are the quads.  When the hamstrings are engaged your quads actually do quite a bit of work, so if the hammies are weak, you're asking the quad to help out, and that may be at an angle where the patella is fully engaged on the trochlear groove.  Ouch....
You've had some patella work done, so no doubt that area is sensitive.
You should also do some all around muscle development of the hip flexors, abductor and adductor muscles.  All of them play a role in how your knee functions.
The IT band...a thick tendonous band that runs from hip to knee on the lateral side could also be tight.  Have you increased your training in leaps and bounds?  If so, back off....do some stuff that seems overly easy for a few days...that IT band gets knotted up and causes all sorts of pains. 
If all the muscle balance stuff is Greek to you....you might want to see a physical therapist (physio) to get a good rehab/strengthening plan.  They should be able to provide you with good balanced exercises to get you back into training and martial arts........

good luck,

marjan

Offline SBUR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice and help it is always good to chat with people that have gone through the same thing.

Marjan
Yeah my training has doubled since i started and i am getting a lot fitter. So i think that maybe it. I have bought my self a good knee support and this has made masses of difference. i have been working on my VMO even more and this has also seemed to help.
Patiance is my problem i have to remember that now my knee has gone once i will just have to look after it a bit more.
A physio has just started at the gym so i am going to ask the about stuff i can do there to help as well.
Very determind to keep going but i have to remember not everything needs to be done at 100 miles an hour lol

Thanks again guys for the comments