Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Shoe recommendations  (Read 823 times)

Offline rooshka

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Shoe recommendations
« on: May 04, 2009, 07:19:48 PM »
Hi

I  had ACL reconstruction using hamstring in Sept 08.  I have very weak quads due to a setback and still limp. my rehab has been slow and not particularly successful.  Does anyone have any recommendations of good shoes/trainers that provide good support for walking?

I am still rehabbing, doing physio and trying to build my quads and complementary muscles but, as it has been nearly a year since I first injured my knee, need to find some footwear that can assist in helping me walk with more balance and less guarding.

I considered MBTs but got put off by some reviews that suggested that they exacerbate knee pain  - and don't want to over-use muscles that have seriously atrophied.

I am not expecting a miracle cure, just something to help me along the way to stop limping day to day!

Thanks for any help you folks can offer...

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
Re: Shoe recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:31:56 PM »
The best way to find a good pair of shoes is to go to a reputatable shoe store where the sales people are a little more "trained" in shoes.  They can recommend a pair based on how you walk and what your needs are.  Your shoes needs will really vary based on your walking patterns and so it is hard for someone to recommend a shoe on this Bulletin Board because what worked for them might not work for you.

Price is not necessarily an indicator of the quality of the shoe...which is a good thing.  Once you have been recommended a good shoe...go online and see if you can find a good deal on it.

Good luck.
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:26:06 PM »
When my PT noticed that I was over pronating I went to a good sporting goods store that gets high marks from the runners and joggers that I know.  The salesperson there was really knowledgable and after about an hour I had a shoe that fit well and solved my problem.    I wear my tennies (trainers to you in the UK) almost all the time, switching to dressy flats after I get to work.  Even my flats now have inserts in them to help keep my foot from rolling in.
It has made a major difference in my comfort and strength level at the end of the day.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 02:42:46 AM »
I have found that you need to find a shoe store that will look at your foot (flat/high arch), how you walk, and the amount of stablilty you need.

I personally need a very stable shoe and where my tennies all the time.  (I have a great boss who lets me where them to work)

Another thing-- my PT suggest replacing your shoes when you start to wear the tread off the bottoms.  (If I did this I would be paying about $800 US a year.  So I am not good at doing it.)
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline CHILLYdogs

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Mush!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:54:16 AM »
my podiatrist recommended changing shoes everyday. not to wear the same shoes all the time.
[email protected]

contralateral BPTB ACLr: Nov'08
back to sports, no restrictions: Feb'09
( yep!! that's @ 12 weeks post-op :-)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Doc Sanders!!!!!!
(http://www.sandersclinic.net/)

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
There is an old post on here somewhere on footwear which is very informative. 

Although everyone is different with ways of walking etc but I took the advice on one of the posts and bought some Asics trainers they have been brilliant the type and style I have are for ankles support and knees and they have been brilliant and I've managed to run in them which I have had no success with in my other items of footwear.

If you are seeing a PT ask them what they would recommend.

Best of luck

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

support