Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice please?????  (Read 880 times)

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice please?????
« on: May 03, 2009, 09:04:24 AM »
Hopefully someone will be kind enough to give me some advice.

Mid March my left knee became very painful, shooting pains medially and burning/searing under the patella and sharp stabbing pains radiating down my tib/fib from under the patella. Felt like there was glass in the joint every time I took weight through it.
There was no related accident or trauma - I first noticed the pain when I crossed my ankles whilst sitting on the sofa!!!!
Saw my GP who thought Medial meniscus but when I saw the Ortho last Monday he said no cartilege problems and the xrays showed a VERY minor arthritis which Ortho said could not be causing the pain, also a very tiny spur on the femur which he said was not a problem.
Ortho examined the knee and it was very painful when the patella was moved, the knee fully straightened and when twisted to the medial side.
Now my problem - over Easter the pain was unbelievable, BUT by the time I saw the Ortho it had abated somewhat. Still painful enough for him to suggest an operation on May 8 tho.
I saw him on Monday - on Tuesday I knelt down and there was a crack like a bull whip from my knee. The pain has since abated still more.
The knee is still sore medially when I fully straighten or fully flex it and `niggles` a bit when I put weight through it. When I have been on my feet all day the joint will burn and stab a bit in the evening - BUT I could live with these symptoms.
I have asked the nurses at the hospital and they suggest turning up and seeing what the Orth says but I FEEL SUCH A PRAT. I dont want to go into hospital next week if this is just going to comtinue improving.
Ortho mentioned Plica, and I understand this can/does just resolve itself - so  what do you think, should I postpone the op and see what happens??
I have read that people do end up worse after arthroscopy and dont want to risk that.
Sorry, you all have such bad pain whith your knees and here I am moaning `cos mine is better!!
Beccaben

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Advice please?????
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:41:01 PM »
Well. `cos my knee felt so much better I went to my allotment (in danger of being thrown off due to weeds). I did 30 mins of very gentle digging and I am now sat with my leg up and ice packs on it!! So I guess its not as good as I thought.

So very sorry to have been so daft in my previous post - just being a worry wally.

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »
Hi,

Go to the hospital on the 8th and have a chat with the OS before you go to surgery.  You can easily pull out then if he thinks things will be okay.  You might find in a few days you might be back to square one with your pain.

We all have moments when things feel a lot better but you have to look at the wider picture at least you have a few days yet to make up your mind.

Best of luck.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:04:39 PM »
Yes Sue, I will go on Friday and see what he says.

I was just being stupid, thinking the knee was better and would stay that way - I now see that I am going to have to have the surgery to discover what is wrong as xrays and `poking` did not show up a definate reason. I really did not do very much today but the knee and upper lower leg (at the front - tibia??  can never remember which one is at the front!) are quite painful.

Thanks for the reply.
Beccaben

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »
Best of luck on Friday.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:45:16 PM »
Thank you Sue. I had the op, I had torn my medial meniscus and also had arthritis `descaled`. Now feeling like h*ll as I am sensitive to codeine and they injected the knee with morphine so I am dizzy and nauseus and generally `weird` - even more than usual.   ;D

Will feel better tomorrow.

Thank you for you thoughts.

Carol

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »
Hi,

Great that they found a problem and fixed it.  Hope you manage to find a pain med that agrees with you.  My friend has his medial and lateral meniscus trimmed last Tuesday and is also having problems with meds (like not taking them as they disagree with him  ::) even the ones that are alright).

Hope you have a speedy recovery and don't over do things.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04