Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What is done for "minor sprain" of ACL?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What is done for "minor sprain" of ACL?
« on: April 30, 2009, 10:07:30 PM »
Hi all Knee gurus,

On my most recent MRI where a torn meniscus was suspected, I got a result of a torn medial meniscus and "possible minor sprain of ACL".  That was from the radiology report, but I haven't spoken to the OS doctor yet.

For the meniscal tear, I know they will go in arthroscopically and remove the torn area.  What about the minor ACL sprain?  Does this mean my ACL needs to be reconstructed? Would it generally be done at this stage (eg. minor sprain stage) or done later if it tears completely?   It sounds like the surgeon won't really know if it's torn until he goes in with his camera, right?  If he finds it partially torn, do they just reconstruct it then and there or do it another time? 

Is there anyway of knowing whether the pain in my knee (when standing or walking for more than about 10 mins) is due to the meniscal tear or the ACL?  I don't have stability issues at this time, just the periodic pain as mentioned above.   

Thanks for any advice!
torn meniscus

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: What is done for "minor sprain" of ACL?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:43:28 PM »
Any ideas?  I am worried about going in for a meniscus trim and finding out he has to redo my ACL at the same time.  Thanks much !!
torn meniscus

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:34:33 AM »
I've never heard of the term "sprain" being used for an ACL but maybe they are using a term inappropriately in order to tell you that it is not damaged really.

If you are only getting periodic pain and have no instability issues then the chances are that it is related to the meniscus damage not to any further damage to the ACL. You could state on your operation permission form that no other work is to be carried out without consultation if you are worried about having an ACL recon without knowing it. Talk to your surgeon about it first and see what they think.

Do some reading up on this in the Information Hub and then you will have a better idea of what you have done and what you are going to experience during your arthroscopy.

It helps when posting for the first time to indicate some of the following if you want people to respond: where you are based in the world, how you did the injury, age and activity level as these all impact on how people respond.

If it helps at all I had my last meniscus only trim done as day surgery and was skiing 3 weeks later and teaching skiing by about a month to 5 weeks if I remember correctly. I drove the next day to my physio appointment.

Sue  ;) in Germany
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 04:08:24 PM »
Hi Sue, Thanks very much for your reply.   I'm hoping that it's just the meniscus that is causing the pain, since I've read I'll heal a lot faster from a meniscus trim than an ACL reconstruction.   I've also read that some people tear their ACL but do not have it repaired ??  That seems odd, but I don't play any serious sports - just hike and ride the stationary cycle at the gym, so maybe if mine tears eventually it won't be necessary to reconstruct?   The meniscal tear was noted as "degenerative" (I'm 45) and don't remember any event that caused it.

Currently, I feel the pain when standing with pressure on the knee and with walking.   No instability that I've noticed yet.  But, I'll check out the symptoms of an ACL tear in the Information Hub as you suggested !  Thanks again for the pointers!

-Dan

torn meniscus

support