Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MACI Info  (Read 15664 times)

Offline markld

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: MACI Info
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »
Yes, in the U.S. some doctors use a collagen membrane which is referred to as a Biogide in place of the periosteum.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:31:22 PM by markld »
April 2008 microfracture left knee trochlea
Jan 2009 ACI harvest from right knee
Mar 2009 ACI right knee trochlea
July 2009 Aci left knee
Nov 2009 left knee scope to check graft

Offline Teepers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 11:40:48 PM »
Well it comes round quickly, 2 weeks till my first op to remove the cells. Still not sure I am doing the right thing, it seems a long road to recovery. I still have good days and not so good days, some days I feel no pain at all, however I am still taking anti inflams daily.
I have tried to come off the pills but as soon as I start training again the knee swells up. I can't not exercise so in one sense I think yes have the op on the other hand I feel if I stop exercising then maybe I can delay the op for a while.
I seem to have pain over the area of the defect but I also have pain elsewhere in the knee. How can I be sure it is the defect giving me the pain and not that my knee is f..... (6 ops on it to date including micro fracture and cartilage removal).
Can anybody with femoral condyle defects please explain the pain they experienced.
Is the rehab long and will I play cricket and rugby again if it is successful, has anybody heard of any full time sportsmen having this procedure, I think Micheal Vaughan ( ex England cricket captain) had this op or similar am I correct.

Offline markld

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 05:30:48 AM »
A friend of mine has a lesion in the femoral condyl. He is a member to this site and goes by the name ski-bum, look him up to ask his symptoms, his name is marc.
April 2008 microfracture left knee trochlea
Jan 2009 ACI harvest from right knee
Mar 2009 ACI right knee trochlea
July 2009 Aci left knee
Nov 2009 left knee scope to check graft

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »
Well it comes round quickly, 2 weeks till my first op to remove the cells. Still not sure I am doing the right thing, it seems a long road to recovery. I still have good days and not so good days, some days I feel no pain at all, however I am still taking anti inflams daily.
I have tried to come off the pills but as soon as I start training again the knee swells up. I can't not exercise so in one sense I think yes have the op on the other hand I feel if I stop exercising then maybe I can delay the op for a while.
I seem to have pain over the area of the defect but I also have pain elsewhere in the knee. How can I be sure it is the defect giving me the pain and not that my knee is f..... (6 ops on it to date including micro fracture and cartilage removal).
Can anybody with femoral condyle defects please explain the pain they experienced.
Is the rehab long and will I play cricket and rugby again if it is successful, has anybody heard of any full time sportsmen having this procedure, I think Micheal Vaughan ( ex England cricket captain) had this op or similar am I correct.

Teepers

Be aware that MACI does depend on growing delicate cells, & that the drugs you are taking may adversely affect the outcome of your procedure.  I'd recommend checking with your surgeon asap about the drugs you are currently taking. Maybe it might be smarter to lay off the physical training until you've had the operations and you are well on the road to healing. Someone fed me a hashish browie prior to getting bone marrow drawn on my second bone marrow draw. My stem cell count was 50% down vis a vis first bone marrow draw. My stem cell injections have helped enormously my condtion. I believe that MACI is still not yet available in the USA and that now www.maci.com is up and running and available in most of Europe. If the procedure is done arthoscopically you will be in great shape. OTOH if the procedure is done as an open procedure then you've a lot of rehab in your future. Good luck with the procedure. I wish you all the best..

JM

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 01:35:43 AM »
Hi Teepers

I have seen a few studies on the return to sport of footballers following ACI.  The results are that only a minority of people return to sport at the same level as pre-injury.  However, this does not necessarily reflect how successful the surgery was.

The rehab is long at least 12 months.  There is also evidence that the cartilage can carry on improving over 4 years (studies ended just after that).  Owing to the extended rehab time people may move on due to the usual life changes and some people may decide that preserving their knee is more important to them than the sport.  In other words, the return to sport at the pre-injury level is not necessarily a reflection of whether the procedure can get you back there.  You may be encouraged to know that there is also a study which shows that those who do return to some sort of sport have better outcomes than those who do not.  As always, you need to bear in mind that these studies are not large and there are a wide variety of scenarios included which may not match your own.

Hope all goes for with you for the implant.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline Teepers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »
Now 4 days into recovery. Had op on tuesday damage to femoral condyle no more (I hope). Op went well, had a nerve block not sure it worked though as was in quite alot of pain on waking up, however a quick does of a morphine based drug put pay to that. I have been really happy with the procedure so far very little pain apart from the usual dull ache associated with a knee op. I have stuck religiously to the pain meds, just starting to back off them now. You need to be aware that although paracetamol and codeine work, I had to top up on a morphine based pain relief a couple of times whilst in hospital.
Stayed in hospital 2 nights I was offered a third night which I declined to go home,this was a mistake should have stayed in, its not the pain so much but once you leave the hospital the knee becomes vulnerable and I am NWB, just getting into the car is a problem, then you need to get to bed and once there I have 3 kids jumping over me excited because their daddy is home. My wife is trying hard but she has to look after the kids get them to school and look after a toddler who thinks my knee is fascinating and therefore loves to touch it. The problem now is that I have to do more myself, making drinks and getting snacks,as welll as going to the toilet, the direct result is your up a lot more and taking more pain killers. So learn from my mistake stay in hospital where you have dedicated nurses, if not for yourself do it for your wife.
I have a 6 inch scar and the pain is not half as bad as I thought. Mr Briggs was very happy he said the injury was quite nasty and needed doing, the timing was perfect had I left IT any longer the damage may have gone to far to be repaired. At this point for anybody who has a doubt over the operation and we all do, don't judge it on pain alone as I did, I spent 2 years on diflofenac allowing me to continue a normal life masking the pain. My advice is to stop taking pain killers and then see what you can do, then decide if you should have the procedure.
I have been told to stay off the leg for a week, then I will start physio and the staples will be removed after 10 days. It is important to protect the incision so as not to get an infection (I was given 2 doses of antibiotic in hospital as a precaution). I am already frustrated the knee feels good and I am bored already, however I have been advised to do very little for 7 days apart from llight quad work. I am in a brace at the moment that fixes the leg straight having had a plaster cast on my leg before this is a bonus as it is a lot more confortable.
Hope this has given you some good information on the MACI procedure if you want more please ask questions and will try to answer them based my experience, I will continue to update my progress from time to time.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:47:01 PM by Teepers »

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »
Good to hear it went well, any idea how big the defect was?

Offline Teepers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 08:37:35 PM »
2 x 1.5 full thickness chondral defect

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »
Glad to hear everything went well...DId you have a TTT/AMZ/TTO done at the same time or just the MACI?  I am having ACI and more than likely a TTO done next month for a trochlear groove defect. 

Best of luck with the recovery!

Offline Teepers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 12:33:43 PM »
Just a MACI.
Saw Mr Briggs yesterday who I would recommend to anybody, the man is a legend he has now performed over 400 MACIs. Everything looking good, need to see him again in 4 weeks time, tied to the crutches until then at least NWB. first phsio this afternoon.
Does anybody know what the schedule is for rehab and the time scales involved, as I am starting to get very frustrated and bored. The knee feels good very little pain which unfortunately gives you false hope and you have to concentrate hard not to put weight onto the knee when your up.

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »
when you say NWB do you mean your foot isnt even touching floor?

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 08:21:36 PM »
Hi Teepers,

I had my left knee done under Mr Briggs six years ago and the right kee the year after uner Mr Pollock, RNOH Stanmore is the best.

DO NOT rush the PT. It took the new cartilage 18mnths to grow to full thickness and feel comfortable enough to start jogging & jumping around on. I myself had young family at the time and it put a big strain on the whole family. I had already had micro-fracture in both knees and other ops' before MACI. This was by far the longest and slowest rehab programme, however that said I am now able to run 5k and coach football again. These op's completely changed my life and rehabilitated me, not just the knees!

If you want any advice at anytime then feel free to message me and I'll give you my number.

Take care, ice lots, do the leg raises (boy I did thousands!) and just think that a few months of care now will enable you to have a good result in the long-term.

Jules
Julian

Offline Teepers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 02:58:34 PM »
Jules thanks for your reply, i think patience is the key.
How long did it take you to get full bending back in your knee?.
Had anything changed from your first op to the second op with regards rehab.

thevoice strictly speaking yep no weight at all no touching the floor. This in reality is almost impossible unless you lay down all day everyday so resting is acceptable.

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »
Hi Teepers,

It took about a year to get full flexion back in my knee, as you have to wait so long before you can start being agressive with the PT.
The rehab was the same in both cases, apart from the fact that both myself and my physio were a lot more clued up the second time.
Realising it took only a few more reps to make it sore and inflame the op area meant I was able to mentally manage the rehab second time around.

I did weight bear accidentally during the first 12 wks, but only in a straight line. just be careful with lateral joint movement early doors and you should be ok.

What ever the doc's say, trust me it takes a lot longer for the new cartilage to grow and give the full benefit.

keep in touch if you need anything further.

Jules
Julian

Offline Teepers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
Jules

Thanks for the info, just found out the hard way by over doing it. Followed physio's exercise program, however managed to over do it bloody typical. Knee is a bit sore today to say the least, however at least the stiches are out now so I can ice the knee.

support