Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4 months after partial medial meniscectomy and in pain  (Read 2842 times)

Offline jpolniak

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
4 months after partial medial meniscectomy and in pain
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:16:13 PM »
Hi - I just joined this site. I am, as stated above 4 months out from surgery and was out running and had to stop b/c of the pain. I am swollen a little, but the WHOLE knee is suffering from an achy pain. My biggest concern is that I retore something - how likely is that? I'm a runner, but I've tried to be careful in getting back - only doing about 3/4 of usual mileage and have had NO problems until now. HELP!!
right lateral discoid meniscectomy 6/08 after got knocked down by a dog, left medial meniscetomy 6 months later

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: 4 months after partial medial meniscectomy and in pain
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »
Back to your Doctor for the first opinion, then you might have to have a MRI scan

JohnK/ Manchester
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:26:22 PM »
Four months is rushing it after any surgery. Your body needs time to heal and if you reinjured yourself then you did not give yourself enough time to heal. I would be happy to be able to wallk let alone run.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »
My guess is that you just overdid it. Is it getting better with time? You have to start in very slowly going with walking a distance at least as great as you would run without difficulty I would think  and then very short distance running (don't know how far 3/4 is for you). Ice and anti-inflammatories for the time being until you can get into the OS if you aren''t getting better.
Connie

Offline jpolniak

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:56:20 PM »
I am " cautiously  optimistic" about the knee at this point ( 3 wks since setback). I haven't run much, and things are calming down. When I did run ( 1 mile on 2 separate occasions), there was pain afterwards ( not during). Normal mielage for me USED to be close to 40 mi/wk, then 30, then 20, currently 0....But I am less swollen now. I'm just exercising on a spinning bike and doing weights. I can hold out a little longer, but I;m worried that my running days may be numbered...
right lateral discoid meniscectomy 6/08 after got knocked down by a dog, left medial meniscetomy 6 months later

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:47:15 AM »
Glad to hear that things are calming down. You can always try walking increasing distances and then when that does not aggravate try the walk / run method. I can relate to the "pain" of no running and hope for your sake you can find a way to satisfy your need to be our in the open.
Connie

Offline jpolniak

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »
Well I did something stupid. I sprinted about 50 feet and then was in great pain for 4 days. It has calmed down, but now the pain is whenever I put force on my knee like in a mild squat. Unfortunately, it hurts just to walk ( not that bad, but if I put my foot down the wrong way - the pain SHOOTS through my knee). Going to see the OS in 2 days. I can bike without pain, but no elliptical or running ( or even walking very far). Here we go again................... ( Thanks for your encouragement, Connie - I am truly my worst enemy!)