Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2nd Surgery in 2 months diary.  (Read 5269 times)

Offline mamaheather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 2nd Surgery in 2 months diary.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 06:20:46 PM »
zepher-
So sorry for the difficulty you're having!  I can't imagine having a physically intensive job right now.  I do a lot of walking around and driving at my job, but it's all been fine on my knee.  No foal chasing for me! 
The knot in the calf thing...I have had that on and off since the first week of surgery.  I had an ultrasound of my leg done to make sure it wasn't a clot - it's not- but it's strange.  I didn't have this at all with my first surgery..
Don't give up on your job.  Sounds like you have a lot going on.  Just take care of yourself & be really good to yourself on your time off.  Lots of ice and elevation...

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »
Hi well, i never thought i may possibly have a clot! eek, i thought that thrombosis would be painfull? i dont know anything about it, but did think that it would be  a painfull experience. The "knot" is like a small fist in my calf and it makes me limp a bit, but its intermittant and ive not had the feeling for a day or two. Fingers crossed!
Well ive dont my first full day at work, my knee is holding up considering. I had a moment the other day. I was moving some mares and foals to their summer paddocks, and we had to pass the sheep and lambs (how cute) and the foal i had decided to lead took a massive dislike to the sheep! and started snorting and dragging me every where,(mare in left hand foal in right hand) i was sweating by the time i got to his new paddock, and i let him go (the little s**t!) but my knee didnt swell or hurt overnight, so i must be on the mend. I got my first kick in the knee sice surgery, and just hoped for the best, and no, no pain. But the main painfull thing is trying to muck out, just cant do the twisting thing, but im lucky enough to choose whether i do this particular task or not, so "not" in this case!.
I still feel a bit worried walking on uneven ground, and every now and then i just move my knee in a particular way and  get a stabbing pain in knee, but it only lasts a few seconds. I still cant do yoga properly, i cant stretch my left thigh muscle very much for some reason, and im still a bit scared to push myself too far, just in case i over do it.
Well i still need my meds, i tried to cut down but i do definately get pain if i  miss just one set of tablets. I hope i dont get addicted to my meds, ive heared about people getting hooked on painkillers and thought "how and why would you do that" i think now im begining to realise how and why!
Ok peeps nothing more to add only that since ive been on my meds i havent been drinking.WELL i had a bbq on sunday and glugged my way (with 3 other girls)  through 5 bottles of wine, yep i was disgustingly drunk and made my way to bed to fall into a coma sleep! and today im very fragile and cold and hungry for rubbish food, and i look like death, so roll on tomorrow xx

Offline mamaheather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 03:18:47 PM »
I always enjoy a good bottle of wine vs pain killers!  ;D
This week has been a great knee week for me.  I am also not pushing anything.  I'm taking things slowly with this recovery.  I've caught myself a few times going to push the laundry basket with my leg - thanks to you- I stopped myself  :)  & I definitely am not trying to sit on my bed with my leg bent under me.  Things are feeling good now and my PT reports less adhesions in the incision sights. 
How's your week been? 

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »
Hi, ive not writte anything for a while, as things have been ok.
Yesterday i went to another BBQ (trying to fit them all in before the English summer ends!, and we all know how long that lasts!). Yep this lush has another hangover!!!!!!!!!!!!! For reasons best known to my brain, i decided i would dance last night, as spirits were up and so was the music!.
This morning however i have decided it was a BIG misake, my knee is in bits, i didnt take any meds last night (cause i was being a night owl) and never got home till the early hours. this morning as my alarm went off at 5.45 (yes on a sunday) i felt like death, look like death and am limping again=great!
Couldnt take my meds this morning as they have to be taken with food, and there was no way on earth i could of eaten anything this morning, i would of vomited.So i have had to wait till about 1pm to take my first batch, and maybe its just starting to work (please let it).

So because of my stupidity i must now follow these rules:

Must stop being vain and wearing heels, although i cant straighten leg with heels on, and also look like a transvestite when i walk, (knees out and sort of swagger from side to side)

Must come home during daylight hours, especially when im working at 5.45 on a sunday morning.

Stop drinking like it is going out of fashion.

Dont dance as it embarrasses husband and step daughter, and probably me when i see the video camera!

Well peeps i have learned my lesson and i will probably take a few days for my knee to calm down now so a few easy days for me, bye now x

Offline tsznut

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
That is one lesson I have had a hard time learning as well.

A night of drinking and dancing has a way of going a bit to far, but always fun, and gives us all something to talk about when we get together again.  Those da** hangovers seem to get worse with age, they want to hang on for days!!   ;D

Tori
May 2008 R Knee arthroscopy, lateral release, medial meniscus repair, chondroplasty
Post op report states:  maltracking, subluxation that failed to centralize at 60 degrees, lateral tilt
March 2009 R Knee ACLr, Fulkerson procedure, redo Lateral Release, Chondroplasty
March 2010 screw removal

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 06:59:41 PM »
Yes Tori i totally agree!!!!!!!!
Today Monday i am feeling human again, but my knee is quite bad and i have had a lot of twanging and popping going on, then in the afternoon i have got the pain in calf again! it feels like a cramp and i cant walk properly, the vet came this afternoon, and we got talking and she also mentioned the possibility of thrombosis, now im definately not an expert but i was to believe that thrombosis was painfull and you got it if you sat too long and didnt move about too much, i really dont sit for very long and im on my feet all day, i cant do aerobics (obviously) but im active enough, so im getting quite worried now, i might have to put a post on the thrombosis board and see what they say.
I have run out of tablets (great) so im in for an uncomfortable night i think, oh well i'll just have to get on with it till tomorrow. My knee is also quite swollen, i must say this is getting boring and maybe a change of job will have to happen in the near future, dont quite know what i will be able to do as i have been with the horses all my life and havnt pursued any other avenue.
Well best i go and plant my hanging baskets before my plugs all shrivel up!
Bye now x

Offline mamaheather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 05:01:41 AM »
How are you?  Haven't seen anything for a few weeks.  I hope no thrombosis! 
I am continuing PT and my tendonitis in my patellar tendon seems to be getting worse.  Lots of tenderness in my quad and tendons.  My PT asked me to do the anti- inflammatories again.  Still no heels and no nights of drunken dancing (damn it!).  BUT, I am back to the gym, and it feels great.
AHH the lessons we learn....:)  I hope the dancing was worth it- I am so jealous!

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »
Hi all, im back, thanks mama heather for noticing my absence x
Well i didnt have a thrombosis (thank you god) ::) but still now, 3months after my last op, i still am not quite right!!!!!!!!!!! will i ever have a full recovery? my knee still swells up at night, i am STILL takings meds, cause if i dont i still have pain, Is this normal?. ???
I have officially turned into a fat monstrosity, i have a very tight fitting wardrobe, great, so as i have problems doing any form of fat burning exercises, i have joined the fatties at my local pool for aerobics, andif i can cope with it all, i will start their resistance weight training in water, good huh? I am keeping myself very busy, and am presently in the middle of my degree, may need this for my change of career if i need to leave my job. Jobs i cant do

Stairs, cant do them.

Hold onto a horse if it pulls backwards, forwards is good, back is bad.

I cant climb over fences anymore, although i keep forgetting and twist my knee, then i remember!

Still walk wierd in heels= transvestite=read older posts :-*

run, have tried but only for a few strides, which makes me wonder i im bone on bone in certain parts of my knee.

I talked through my arthroscopy pics with my os and he told me that due to the nature of my menisoctomy, the inside if the meniscus has gone/been trimmed and my knee is pushing my cartlidge out, so i dont think my long term outlook is going to be very good, maybe i will have to get used to the discomfort as i dont think it is going to get any better than it is now.
Plus im in a catch 22 situation, i need to keep my weight down and cant cause i cant do aerobics, my eating habits have changed dramatically,
the husband has lost loads of weight so why havent I? i have put on 6kgs which is alot!! mainly on the ass and thighs, great, just what a pear shaped girl needs, i look like i have been stuffing pillows down my trousers legs!!!!!!!! well maybe thats a slight exageration, but you get the picture. One of my dogs got put down, and apart from it being a horrid sad day, i couldnt even help  dig his grave, so i sat and watched my poor old hubby sweating in the hot sun, trying to dig up rock hard clay soil.
well im off now to try to squeeze my fat ass into a bikini, hope there are no hot men or even worse men i know at the pool, or i may have to go to the pool in the neighbouring area, i may get hubby to take a pic of me in my bikini and stick it on the fridge, but the shame of anyone else seeing it :o
Bye now mmmmmmmmmmm yet more luttuce for tea x

Offline jaclhelpplease

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 02:41:16 AM »
Hi, I had ACLr surgery 06-30-09 - my second one on the same knee.
I have a terrible intollerance for pain meds. Have to eat a full meal to keep the meds down, otherwise I throw it all up.
Since surgery I have been very seditary, need to take pain meds=eat heavier meals consumed than normal. I am gaining weight too. Veggies just dont coat the stomach enough to keep pain meds down.
I just got my staples out and the nurse replaced them with steri strips. So no baths for me. I too want to swim. We have a nice pool at my gym. Was thinking I could just get in there and swim with arms only to get some calories burned.
It is fustrating.
Jen

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 11:09:27 AM »
Hi Jen, I went to the swimming aerobics class last night, and was really suprised as to the range of people doing it, young old (good for them i say), it was ever so hard, couldnt quite believe just how unfit i have become! one of the parts of the lesson (mid class when your heart rate is up) was to swim 4 breaths of the pool as quick as you can, well i nearly died, i am a good swimmer, used to swim for my county (years ago) i was so out of breath! but at least im making an effort, it can only get better, but the most suprising thing was my knee, was great, when i got out of the pool i felt like id had a massage on my knee, it felt amazing, and im so happy about that, this morning however i can feel a little pain, but nothing compared to how it was, so yes swimming is very good, but just a hint, maybe go swimming in the pool on your own for a bit to get a bit fit, as i joined a class and did struggle a bit, but also pushed myself to keep up.
So i am going to go tomorrow again and will try to build it up to 3 times a week.
Well im doing everything except study at themo, ive been hoovering, making triffle, polishing, and watering the garden doing anything except study, so i must make myself get off here and work, although it is suposed to be my day off!
Bye peeps
Kerry x

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »
Afternoon peeps x
Well the swimming aerobics has had a weird outcome on my knees! yes your reading right, both of them, what the hell is going on????????
Today I am walking and both knees are hurting >:(
Everytime i take a step it feels like both my cartlidges between my knees are swollen maybe? Can that happen? its not excruciating pain but its annoying. Theres no way on earth im going under the knife again. During the swimming aerobics lesson, we have to do a certain exercise that includes holding on to the bar, but facing into the pool with your head laying against the bar. Lifting your legs up so you look as though you are laying on your back, then kicking your legs as fast as you can for as long as she tells us to, then slow kicking then furious kicking again, so i think here is the underlying problem, i have overdone my excercises, will have to be selective on the ones i can and cant do.
Does anyone know if there can be inflammation of the cartlidges? havent heard of it but nothing suprises me anymore x Also  still have twanging and popping noises going on, and without sounding like a hypocondriac i think that maybe its getting a bit worse. i knelt down this morning applying ointment to one of the horses legs, and when i got up something clicked and twanged, and i almost got the feeling that something nearly got locked, weird sensation. Please god dont let me go down this same road again, it is so boring!!!!!!!!!!
Well i have to go and get ready to check the horses, there are 80 of them at the mo, and it takes some time to feed/check them, this is why i cant get injured again, but this could also be the reason I may be taking quite a long time to heal, someone i know had surgery the same week as i did, and he had his hip replaced, hes making quicker progress than me! i do feel a bit whimpy sometimes, but he got replaced, ive just had things removed, meniscus/plicas so i know im on the long rocky road to a new knee one day, but i must live for today and not focus to much on my future. Well im off on my treck round the paddocks so bye now xxx

Offline mamaheather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 04:21:18 AM »
Kerry-
Sorry to hear about all the difficulty!
I had a minor breakdown the week before last at PT.  My IT bands have been very tight an causing pain in both knees for me, but my PT gave me this great stretch on a foam roll that is awesome for the IT bands.  But then, my PT determined my butt muscles were weak & that I needed to get them going in order to support my knees.  I started crying just thinking of how out of shape I have become when I cannot tightn my butt!   :o
So I started working hard on my own doing whatever I can to move my body & burn calories, strengthening my butt, & all my stretches.  Last Weds was my last PT session & my therapist said my IT bands felt way better, my patellas were back to normal (not slanting) & I was stronger!  I was so happy.  She also gave me all kinds of great exercises that I can do with the equipment available at my little po-dunk gym.  I got the ok to dance & do Zumba (yeah!!!), as long as I don't do too much jumping or repetitive squatting.  I took a Zumba class on Thursday & it went pretty well.  I just skipped the things that caused any pain ( there were a few).  I've been swimming with the kids about 4 times a week & have started doing some spinning at home with DVDs.  I can actually say that I feel good about my knees for the first time in a long time.  I feel like I crossed some sort of threshold in the last 2 weeks or something.  I hope this continues.  I really want to start running again some day.....I need to take off a ton of weight.  I have found that just trying to keep moving everyday helps- any kind of additional movement.
Kerry- you should see if you can get some physical therapy.   
O- so sorry to hear about your dog too  :'( 
Toodles for now! 

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 12:25:16 PM »
Hi Mamaheather x pleased to hear your exercises are going well, i still hav'nt lost a single pound in weight! i am still very active though, i think i must walk about 5-6 miles a day, not had time to swim at the mo, cant get in to any of the classes as they are over booked! great just my luck.  Since my last post on here, my knees got a whole lot better, and for a week or two i took no meds which is a great step forwards.  Then, i trotted a foal up for the vet, it had been box rested for a few weeks due to fractures of both front pedal bones (i can cosmiserate with the poor mite!) well when the vet asked me to trot him up he galloped up the yard (thank god it was an indoor barn) i kept hold by leaning back and pulling his head tight into my chest, but my strides were as long as penelope pitstops! well that was it, back to square one, i simply cant run or pick up anything heavy, as it makes my bones rub together due to the removal of my medial meniscus. So for a week i was back on the meds, i wasnt in agony but i think that this is as good as it gets.

Im quite suprised that here  in England they dont have replacement cartlidge for the knees, i dont know if it is true but is there replacement cartlidge for the knees in America? i think i heard there was?

Im starting pilates this week so fingers crossed that i tone up a bit x

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just a short note today, knee still annoying the hell out of me, sore, and still on meds, very boring.
Every type of exercise i do hurts the next day! and takes at least 4 days to die down. My last chance is im seeing a sports injury therapist on wednesday so lets see what type of exercise plan he can come up with as i have come to the end of my patience trying to keep weight down and trying to find some exercise i can actually do! ill keep you posted, wish me luck i am 6kilos overweight and i hate it.

bye now x

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »
Well thought i would post again as i havent for a while, great news i lost 21lbs and look and feel normal again. My work load at work is at full speed at the mo and i seem to be able to do it with out my knee giving me jip.........except other knee is now very painfull, i still have full ROM in it but when i straighten it after i sit down it is very stiff on the medial side of knee, same place as the other one was, when i had my MRI and op on other knee OS stated that i had no arthritis or degeneration of meniscus, but obviously that was the left knee, so im wondering if maybe i have a prob with my meniscus in right knee, although i can kneel and touch bottom with my foot but i can feel a terrific painfull pull in front of knee, so if anyone knows what this possibly could be i would be very happy to know xx
If there is a problem i will try to leave it as long as possible before i do anything about it this time, dont think work will be too happy with me taking time off again at the busiest time of the year especially when i am one of the ones in charge!!

My muscle in my left leg (bad leg) took ages before it became strong again, was quite suprised just how weak it had become, i could hardly tense it, now it is as strong as an ox again, which is good as it may have to take the weight of my good leg should i have to have surgery again!! Looking on the bright side again lol

Take care peeps xx

support