Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2nd Surgery in 2 months diary.  (Read 5268 times)

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
2nd Surgery in 2 months diary.
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »
Hi Guys, I thought I would contribute to this thread as I feel if i help one person ive done a good job.

Firstly I am a 41 year old active female with an active job (horses), so I need 100% mobility of my knees!.

I underwent my first surgery in Feb 09 for a partial medial meniscectomy to the left knee. This surgery was uncomplicated and for the resulting 10 days I had absolutely no pain, stiffness or swelling.   I thought I was one lucky girl to go through this surgery pain free! I was thinking my surgeon was a god!

Then I was doing some light house work, and unconsciously pushed the linen basket full of clothes with my injured knee aross the front of my body (from left to right). I had a sharp, what i can only explain  as a tearing sensation in the medial part of my knee (same area id recently had surgery).  I instantly knew I had either torn the meniscus or opened up something inside the knee.

For the following 7 weeks I had to stay off work due to the pain, my leg swelled from above knee and i had no ankle (very attractive to someone as vain as myself).  I had a consultation with my OS and went to have an MRI. to my dissapointment it showed nothing except swelling, that had leaked out the back of the knee into the back of the calf.

I had some nights in agony, i could'nt sleep or walk without a limp, if i trod on a small stone, my knee felt like it was loose and hurt real bad. I was advised to take another 2 weeks off, and continue with R.I.C.E.  It didnt help so, back i went to see my surgeon, who im sure thought i was a bit of a pain!

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, i had another athroscopy last thursday. I havent had my written report yet, but i did see my athroscopy pictures which were very interesting indeed.
My knee inside was "very angry" looking, i thankfully only had my meniscus trimmed, it was very frayed, for want of a word.  I had what can only be described as an "egg" shaped foreign body removed, and he removed a muscle from the front of the knee, as it was acting in a "window wiper" sort of way across the front of the patella. I have no idea what this muscle is called untill i get my written report back. So if anyone is any the wiser I would love to know what it is called.

So the surgery was last thursday, when i woke up from the anesthetic, I was confused (their words) and i bashed my operated knee on something, although I have no recollection of this (thank god).
But the pain in my thigh was unbearable! and even in my confusion I was fully aware of this! apparently i had tournuquet applied ( i dont know if this happens in all knee surgery's) but at least it took the pain away from the knee!

Well today is Monday, and i cant believe how good i feel, the knee is great, im doing all my PT excersises and apart from squats (which i have no intention of doing for a while) I can do all my exercises with no pain. I have a bit of stiffness when i stand facing a chair and bend my knee backwards, so im soooooo happy with my recouperation so far, although my dogs are trying to incapacitate me again by stopping right in front of me at the most inappropriate moments! I have just won a pair of shoes by Manolo Blahnik and they are my inspiration to get better quick!

So dont be fazed if you MRI shows nothing, believe me, if your feeling real pain you have a problem, and I hope my little story will help someone else.
Bye all i'll keepyou informed of my reccuperation. excuse my spelling !!!!!!!!

Offline tsznut

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: 2nd Surgery in 2 months diary.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »
Hopefully your OS has things all fixed up for you now.

I had a lateral release, medial meniscus repair(shaving) and chondroplasty last May. My pain and ability to walk normal was much worse after surgery and was told to keep up with strenghtening and hopefully things would get better. I had had some post op bleeding so the knee was very swollen for quite some time. Well all thru summer, fall and winter, still no change. My OS didn't seem to want to find out what the problem was, had sent me for nerve studies to see if that was the problem, no real problem there.

So in January I went for a second opinion and from the moment he looked at my knee, he told me what he thought the problem was. My patella maltracking and subluxations would not be fixed by just doing the lateral realease because of my Q angle, that the lateral relaese probably made it worse and he felt I also had an ACL tear. He recommended a Arthroscopy to look around with a possible ACLr and a Fulkerson procedure. I was very apprehensive about another surgery, esp. this one as it is rather involved. I did alot of research and decided to go ahead with the procedure because I didn't want to walk with a limp the rest of my life, besides my quad muscle had become very weak and atropied and my knee was very unstable, it would give out all the time.

I had my surgery on March 30, 4 weeks ago, my ACL was an almost complete tear, attached with a few fibers and scar tissue, my procedure was an Arthroscopy with ACLr, Fulkerson, redo of lateral release and chondroplasty.

Like you, for those people who continue to have pain and problems, I hope my story will help them in some way. It's very frustrating when you know something is not right but can't get someone to do something about it. I had not even been able to even walk fast after my first surgery so I'm pretty sure it was already torn when the first procedure was done and my OS didn't catch it, did not show up on MRI as being torn.

I hope you continue with a good recovery.

Tori
May 2008 R Knee arthroscopy, lateral release, medial meniscus repair, chondroplasty
Post op report states: maltracking, subluxation that failed to centralize at 60 degrees, lateral tilt
March 2009 R Knee ACLr, Fulkerson procedure, redo Lateral Release, Chondroplasty
March 2010 screw removal

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »
Hi Tori, i totaly agree, there is only pain and swelling if there is a problem of some sort!
It is frustrating to try to get your surgeon to take you serious, luckly mine is great, he wasnt happy about going in so soon after the first op. He was worried about thrombosis (quite rightly).
But he was listening to me, and as the pain was worstening instead of getting better he knew that he had no choice other than to go in again (although at one low point i felt as though i railroaded him into doing it! knowing deep down he is a proffesional and it dosent work like that!).
As i said, my surgeon rang me the other evening to see how i was progressing, and he told me that he had re-alighned the knee as well as the other things he had done.
It is now Wednesday and i feel great, i feel normal, i know its a weird thing to say, but after nearly 2 1/2 months of limping,pain and swelling, its like im a brand new person! Apart from the scars and bruising i wouldnt even think i had surgery, so chin up everyone there can be a silver lining x

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »
HI Guys
Well today is the 4th may,nearly 2 weeks since surgery. On saturday i flicked off my flip flop's and my heart sank, i think i have done the same thing again!!!!!!!!!!     how can this happen so easily?
I spent yesterday with my leg up with a tubi grip on and stil taking pain killers, and this morning still! the pain, that horrible pain that i had pre-op! i really couldnt cope with this again, im really at a loss as to what to do for the best. Ive had the best part of this year off work, its depressing, i will ring my surgeon tomorrow, and i bet he will not be pleased its happened again.Everything was going to plan, i have been doing my PT every day with no problems, so why did such a small movement re hurt my knee?
I will keep you informed as to what happens next, although right this minute im not holding out too much hope for a full recovery x

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 05:29:06 PM »
Well today is much the same, knee is sore to touch as well as walking about, i cant quite make my mind up if it is sore or injured? my dogs arnt helping, im sitting on sofa with a bag of ice on my knee, dog jumps up (although not allowed to) lands on my knee so i yell at him , i get the big doe eyed look of an animal thats soooo sorry, hes a labrador pup as is Heavy!
any way, i still have my tubi grip on and am taking pain killers and anti-inflammatorys 4 times a day, my PT comes easy enough, no pain or stiffness, so thats got to be a good thing. Sleeping is a pain though, i am still elevating the leg whilst in bed, but wake up during the night cause it hurts, must find a comfortable way to lie in bed mmmmmmmmm tricky.
I drove to the village shop today, not much pain, but it is very near so maybe good for practising my driving whilst still in recovery.  I keep looking at my high heeled shoes, one day i may be able to dress elegantly again, instead of lounging about all day in track suit bottoms and flip flops, im still trying to avoid the mirrors as im walking a bit weird but trying very hard to put even weight on both feet when walking.
Im praying that i may wake up tomorrow with the pain gone, it does get me down a bit. All i seem to do is talk to people about my knee, people will start avoiding me soon i think, my husband's eyes glaze over as soon as the dreaded "knee" is mentioned! Any way tomorrow is another day, bye now x

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »
Hi Guys,
Today im feeling ok, but last night I had what i can only describe as stabbing pains in my knee, I got a stabbing pain and as quick as it happened its gone, its like someone pricks you with a pin, makes you jump then your ok again, wierd, so if anyone has any idea of what this is, id like to know, is it a kind of healing internally?
Went for a small walk this morning with the dogs, still have that fear that if one of them ran into my healing knee i would die, god knows what im going to be like when i get back with the horses, taking a knock comes with the territory, a kick here a kick there, scarey, and ive never been weary of the horses before.
I ve been watching a lot of tv lately and have watched some people dancing, and i found myself wincing when they were squatting down and jumping around, will i ever be able to do that again?

I think it is a confidence thing recovery, i do push myself in my PT,  its going fine, no pain or swelling afterwards. Im just a bit scared that i still have a pain exactly were the surgery was, its only been 2 weeks today, but am i trying to run before i can walk?
Bruising has nearly all gone, stitches come out next thursday, still taking pain killers anti-inflammatorys.
Ive also started taking 1000mg of glucosamine sulphate, it may be a placebo, but ive read reviews and some people say it works, if it stops any further problems its good enough for me.
Chat soon peeps x

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »
Afternoon peeps x
Well today is a good day, i took dogs out for a walk, and i went on quite a long walk, sunny and warm, lovely walk. It wasnt till i got home that i realised id been looking round enjoying the sunshine and i hadnt once thought about my knee, so that is good, its also a first, as im usually worried ill step on uneven ground, or the dogs will run into back of knee, but no i had an uncomplicated pain free walk, it must be a good day maybe ill win the lottery tonight .........
I went out for a drink with the girls last night, and i am so fed up wearing tracksuit bottoms and flip flops, i thought i would dress up , but unfortunately dressing up includes heels, so i wore heels, wierd really, my knee wont straighten so i didnt have any pressure on my knee, and it felt ok, but i did carry flip flops in bag. At the end of all this im going to have a bonfire and chuck tracksuits bottoms and flip flops on it.
I still have my stitches in, they obviously arnt dissolvable like the last lot were, its been over two weeks now, seems like a long time, maybe ill take them out myself this week. Knee still sore to touch, but i suppose the holes the arthroscope went in the first time got used again in the second op, so as not to scar me too much, but i must admit that is the least of my problems.
well not too much to report other than i feel good today, i go back to work on friday, looking forwards to doing some exercise, roll on friday.
Chat soon x

Offline tsznut

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 03:24:45 PM »
Thats great about the walk and about the heels.

That is 1 thing I will look foward to, besides regular clothes.  I'm not very tall (5'2") so even with my jeans I wear some type of heeled shoe.

Tori
May 2008 R Knee arthroscopy, lateral release, medial meniscus repair, chondroplasty
Post op report states: maltracking, subluxation that failed to centralize at 60 degrees, lateral tilt
March 2009 R Knee ACLr, Fulkerson procedure, redo Lateral Release, Chondroplasty
March 2010 screw removal

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:27:13 PM »
Evening all,
just got back from another walk through the woods, knee is good, no weight beaing pain, just a slight pull on front of knee, that i can cope with. I was wondering if i could run so i did a mini jog and yipeee no pain, although i didnt push it. Im going to see OS on friday and will ask him if i can start yoga, pilates or some similar non aerobic exercise, ive never wanted to exercise as much in my life, ive put 6kgs on since october and i hate it.
Im still taking anti inflammatories and paracetemol x 4 a day, will hope to stop after friday if OS oks it. I have no swelling at all and knee is the most normal i have seen it in a long time. PT is so easy right now, the only thing i cant do properly, is i cant touch my bum with heel like i used to, and im not about to push it yet either.
Its nice to have my bony knees back, the injured one represented a grapefruit at one point, so im happy with that, i am actually looking forward to going back to work, and ive never said that before! Ive been doing an pen university degree at home so that has taken up time that im sure i would of been walking the walls with boredom.
Bye now just off to enjoy a nice glass of cold wine x

Offline tee1972

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:05:37 PM »
Zepher,

Your posts made me feel better. I'm one week post op tomorrow and feel as if I'm being a baby, All my family has gone back to work and one person even said, ok your 4 days recoop time is up get off the couch and take care of your self. I honestly think they dont get it. LIKE I WOULD BE FAKING MY PROBLEMS, MY PAIN. So, I think tomorrow I'm going home and will take care of myself . I'm stuck here at my moms with my Great Uncle who has dementia and hes driving me nuts, at least if I'm at home I wont be made to feel guilty for sleeping every time my medication kicks in .

Thanks for listening to me BItch and Moan

Tee
1997 LR
2008 FX Patella
2008 Therapy 5 wks
2008 Knee popped out
2008 Knee popped out
2009 LR MPFL

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »
Hi Tee
I did laugh when you mentioned your uncle with dementia is getting on your nerves x
Ive never been ill or injured before, so i did want some attention when i had my first op, and my husband was good my friends good company and the chocs and flowers were lovely, by the time i had my second op, everyone had dissapeard like rats up a drainpipe, and no one is allowed to say the dreaded "knee" word incase i talk about it again! so much for friends huh?
It does take a while to get better, i know the first time i healed really quickly till i re-injured, and now i am so carefull not to do anything to hurt myself, and the more you try to look after yourself the more accidents ive had! ive walked into the oen oven door, skid on a dog ball, tripped over the dog, and got the be sheets wrapped around my bad leg and tripped up! so i just maybe bad luck.
If you do go home you wont be bored, you will be amazed at what can be interesting, ive been off work since feb 12 and i have got into a routine, hope im not on my way to an OCD!
You will be fine, and dont let anyone rush you, i thik you mentioned you have been off for a week? its really early days, but i always make sure i do walk about, cause the last thing you want is to develope thrombosis, that was my worst fear, but i cant sit still for 2 mins so thats good.
Hope you feel a lot better and if you do go home on your own, you will probably be happier x
Kerry

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
Hi Guys,
Well today is saturday and im back at work! as i said in previous posts i work with horses and they all have had their foals now so work is in full swing. I went to see my OS on thursday, we had a good chat and he explained a few things, i had a plica removed during surgery and to be honest i had never heard of this, oh well its gone now along with most of my medial meniscus! I asked him about starting an exercise programme as i am desperate to get fit again, i refuse to buy bigger jeans! He told me that yoga, pilates and callenetics will e good for me and also swimming which im going to start on monday (i have an essay to write that has to be in by tuesday and im trying to get this out of the way) he told me that my running days are over and aerobics is also out of the question so its slow deep muscular movements that will help me. He said my best mode of healing is to keep the weight off ( im a stone overweight at the mo due to lack of exercise and sitting on my ass since feb basically!) and to keep the knee tight, so yoga here i come! He talked me through my arthroscopy pictures and they are very interesting, i think so but my friends who ive shown do the glazing over thing that is happening to me quite often at the mo, i think im turning into a knee bore!!!!
So he said i dont need to see him anymore but if i have any questions give him a bell and we'll chat.
He also said due to the nature of the meniscus being removed/trimmed my knee wants to push the cartlidge to the outside of the knee and i will have problems in about 10-15 years time, well im 41  so id rather live now and worry later x We also talked about reducing my meds but i will give it another week as im back at work and would like all the help i could get at the mo. So far all the mares and foals have been relaxed and im cherry picking the horses i  handle for a bit ( nurse at work told me to go easy for another 3 weeks) OS also told me that it will take 3 months for my knee to fully knit, its nearly 4 weeks since my op so i think im doing fine (famous last words!)
I think my riding days are over and im a bit worried about cycling but ill worry about that later, so peeps bye for now x

Offline mamaheather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »
I am so excited to find this site AND to see your diary!  I had my 2nd arthroscopic partial menisectomy on the same meniscus on April 17th.  My first one was July 3, 2008.  I was completely shocked when I tore it for the second time.  I was sitting on my bed and went to pull my right leg out from under me.  I didn't realize the pressure that the twisting motion put on it, but man o man.  Instant, sharp, excruciating pain.  I couldn't put walk on it for a week and when I went to the ER the doctor told me it was probably just swollen and would be better in 3 days.  The nurse at the ER didn't understand why I wasn't walking on it.  I had an MRI a week later per my OS.  It showed a large tear of the lateral meniscus with some bulging out into the notch (?)- making it so that I could not straighten my knee.  No one believes me when I tell them I just sat on my bed & did this.  I did not realize that the meniscus was so compromised after the first surgery and that a twisting motion would tear it again.  My OS says this is very rare.
Anyways, my injury occurred on Feb 13th, so needless to say I have become very out of shape and am desperate to exercise.  I started PT last week and am loving it, but not sure how much to push myself with walking the dogs, etc.  I did get a kayak recently, so I am very excited to make that a regular activity, but I really miss my hikes, walks, jogging, dancing, and shoes with heels!  :)
Thanks for sharing, it helps so much to be able to relate to someone in the same (non-heeled) shoes!

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 01:02:59 PM »
Hi Mamaheather x yep the knee needs no major movement to re-injure especialy during healing time! honestly i must have "alien leg syndrome" or something similar. Cause the day i re-injured i was opening the wardrobe sliding door with left hand whilst left leg decided to slide linen basket away from the wardrobe (without my permission!). Later Whilst standing there in excruciating pain, i did wonder how many times does your body do that ? it was like i had four arms all doing their own thing,weird.
Your lucky that your MRI showed another tear as mine did not, but it did show a bakers cyst that had burst out of the back of my knee and made my leg swell to the ankle. That was another suprise! i got in the bath and did my thing, then when i was drying legs off i saw this fat swollen but painless ankless ankle!
I did feel sorry for those people who suffer from elephanitis.
It took 2 weeks to go down, but there was no pain, the last thing i needed was a fat "cankle" as my friends renamed me, ive put weight on as it is without my ankle getting in on the act!
Any way it went as quick as it came, the funny thing was, i didnt really want to look at the "cankle" so i went 2 weeks with out shaving leg, false tanning  so you can only imagine what it looked like after those 2 weeks, if anyone is familiar with Marge simpsons sisters thelma and whatever the other one is called, well i looked like that!
Well its nice to meet some one else that is missing wearing their heels, its a girl thing x

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 11:10:57 PM »
Hi all x well ive a had a crap few days, been back to work and im sore sore sore, did a bit of unintentional foal wrestling yesterday and my knee is in bits. Couldnt sleep last night and today is a b****h, its like im taking two steps forwards and four back. My knee isnt hurting like it did with the meniscus tear, but its a raw pain obviously in the area surgery was performed. My calf hurts too, it feels like i have a knot in my calf and im limping again!
Im feeling really sorry for myself, my knee hurts, car failed its MOT (at a cost of 500) and i had to submit my open university essay last night and im not that happy with it as i was a bit behind due to hospital/work one thing and another.
If my knee keeps this up i may have to seriously consider changing my job, which in this climate would not be a smart move!
Well just came on for a winge, night all x