Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hardware Removal Dilemma  (Read 781 times)

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Hardware Removal Dilemma
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:05:57 PM »
Hi everyone! This board has been a great source of information for me over the years, and so I thought I would post my latest dilema and see if anyone has any advice or suggestions.

I had derotational osteotomies on my femurs, and now I have a blade plate, shaped like a 7, and screws in my femurs. The hardware has to come out after about a year. My dilemma is I don't know whether to get them out one at a time, the right then the left, or to just go ahead and get them both removed at one time in one surgery.

I have found pro's and con's to doing it either way, and Dr. T didn't really say much, just that he usually does it one at a time, but I could do it at once.

So I thought it would be good to get them both out at once because then it's only one more surgery, one more time getting put under and anaesthesia. It's also only one more 8 hour drive to MI and hotel stay and post op visit. Also it would be 4 to 6 weeks of doing nothing while the bone fills in once, and not twice.

The negatives are I would have two long incisions on both my hips, both muscles would have to be moved and I wouldn't really have a "good" leg. If I would fall or something, hopefully not, lol, but I wouldn't have a good side. Also if there are complications, then I would be in trouble.

SO, what do you guys think? Any insight would be great!

Thanks,
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hardware Removal Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:02:14 AM »
Hi L
Is cost a factor at all?
I think alot of it depends on your state of mind. Would you rather have one good leg you know you can rely on, OR, would you rather get it all over with and be done?

It also depends on what do you need to be able to do. Do you have some time to recooperate or will you have to be pushing it based on school or work or other things?

You are one tough cookie that is for sure.
Perhaps someone who had two knee replacements same time could advise.

I had a lateral release on both knees same time, and prior to that plica removal both knees same time. Nothing at all compared to what you have been through. But for me psychologically I didn't want to have one LR, wait 6 months and do the other.

Sounds like your pain tolerance is really high. Best healing wishes.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: Hardware Removal Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:05:13 PM »
Hi,

No, cost really isn't a factor. We have really good insurance, so as long as I am full time in college I will be okay. I think you're right about the state of mind, I just can't decide which one I am in!

I don't really need to be able to do anything super fast, depending on when I do it. If I wait until next summer, then I would have time to recover. If I do it in January, then I have to be back to school in two weeks.

Thanks! I just take it all one day at a time. I completely understand about not wanting to have to do one, wait and do the other. That was bad enough getting the plates put in and my legs derotated. Yea, I think I can tolerate pain really well. Riding horses, I have had quite a few injuries and have been able to deal with them all.

Thanks for the response!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

support