Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Newbie with question.  (Read 2470 times)

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Newbie with question.
« on: April 24, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »
Hi all, I am new here and I hope someone can give me an idea of what to expect.
4 week ago I started to feel a sharp pain in the medial side of my left knee when I crossed my ankles. This got worse until I was getting very bad searing aching all around the edge of (and behind) patella with stabbing to the medial side of the patella. There was `popping / grating on the medial side and the knee locked 3 times - not a sudden lock but as if there was sponge in the joint and the joint just gently stopped moving.
3 days ago the searing pain abated a fair bit and the `popping` moved to the outside of the knee. When I felt the area where the popping was I could feel a lump - like a hard triangular `thing`. It was moving every time the knee popped. The lump dissapeared and the popping stopped.
I now have pains under the patella (at the top of it) and stabbing pains going to the back of the knee and the medial side. I feel as tho` there is glass in the joint every time I put weight through the knee.
As there was no traumatic event associated with the start of the pain I assume it is due to an arthritic type degeneration.

My question is - Will I need an operation to determine the problem? I am self employed and need to look to employing someone whilst I am off work. (A friend who is a health proffessional - not a surgeon - told me that she thinks I will def need an arthroscopy.

Thank you in advance for the info.

Beccaben

Offline tee1972

• Regular Poster
Re: Newbie with question.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:58 PM »
Beccaben,

Sounds like a meniscus tear. Yes, arthroscopic is what sounds like  is needed .
1997 LR
2008 FX Patella
2008 Therapy 5 wks
2008 Knee popped out
2008 Knee popped out
2009 LR MPFL

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
Thank you Tee. After researching the net, thats what I thought - but it is good to have it confirmed by someone who knows what they are talking about.  :)
Seeing the consultant on Monday but want to get someone lined up to do my work so I am not left rushing around at the last minute.

Beccaben

Offline tee1972

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:35:43 PM »
Beccaben,

Do you live in the states ? If yes, most of the time you can fill the paperwork out at the hospital before your surgery to have medicaid or medicare pay for it incase you dont have insurance .

Keep me updated on what happens

Goof luck

tee
1997 LR
2008 FX Patella
2008 Therapy 5 wks
2008 Knee popped out
2008 Knee popped out
2009 LR MPFL

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »
I am in the UK but I have private insurance though my Husbands work - they insure spouses and Children free !!!! How great is that? ;D All it will cost me is 100 excess and they have confirmed all consults/diagnosis and treatments for 3 months.

Will let you know how the consult goes.
Thank you once again.
Beccaben
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:07:11 PM by beccaben »

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 08:07:39 PM »
Becca, wow girl sounds like youve deffinatley got a menisal tear. Upon reading your post I felt as though you were describing my previous dealings with meniscal tears.  I have had 5 ops on the right knee for meniscal tears.  My symptoms were quite similar to yours.  It may set your mind at least at ease to know that all of those ops were a success.  I didnt have alot of down time, they were done arthroscopicaly, and the PT was smooth.  Good luck, keep us posted.

PEACE & LOVE
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 09:43:47 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance Michele. I am really glad your surgeries were a success - but, if you will forgive me for asking, how did you end up needing 5 surgeries?
I do consider myself very lucky that Hubbys works have insured me as it would be another 3 weeks till I could see an NHS doctor and who knows how long to actually get into theatre.
Went shopping this evening and I don`t think the knee could have hurt more if I had really stuck a knife through my Patella!!!! Longest grocery trip ever. ::)
Beccaben

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:13 AM »
Becca, I had different injuries that resulted in meniscal tears.  I was like 14 when I had the first op.  My injuries were all sport related mostly basketball, and volleyball. Dont worry I didnt have to have 5 ops for the same tears.  Keep us all posted, and good luck. By the way Im 40 now.
PEACE & LOVE
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:20:40 PM »
Well, not a torn cartilege, or arthritis!!!! Might be Plica. Having Arthroscopy next week on Friday.
Very surprised it is not meniscus but at least me fears of arthritic knees at 43 did not come to pass. ;D

Now looking forward to 2 weeks off work and catching up with my paintings I have to do (animal portraits!!).

Beccaben

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 10:51:33 PM »
SO, Michelel and Tee - you were both correct!! :-*

At the consult the surgeon told me I had not torn the cartilege and the arthritis was not bad enough to cause pain BUT I had the tear repaired and the arthritis `descaled` and washed out!!!
Just goes to show that even with xrays and experience, nothing is certain and the scope was definately neccessary.

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 12:05:58 AM »
Beccaann, so glad you were able to get that fixed.  I am sending sunshine rays and healing vibes your way girl.  I have high hopes that this will solve your problem.  Kepp us posted though and dont be a stranger, Good Luck.
PEACE & LOVE
Michele
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 12:11:15 AM »
Glad to hear it went well for you, Becca!  I will also have an arthro knee surgery for a meniscal tear trim soon and am encouraged to see that people are recovering well from these.    How quickly were you up and about after the artrho surgery?  How is the swelling?
torn meniscus

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »
Thanks Michele - I wont go away, I`ll stay to offer good vibes to all!!!

dhy063 - I was up and walking about 1 hour after arriving back in my room - my book and knitting were over the other side of the room and I get bored very quickly just sitting. I hopped over to get the book but the physio arrived at that moment and told me off for not walking properly!!!!
I walked out of the hospital 5 hours after going down to surgery and walked fairly normally - except for the HUGE bandage on the knee. I felt like c*p all evening but only because I am sensitive to opiates (1 codeine and the room spins, 2 and I wake up 14 hours later!!) and they injected morphine into the joint.

This morning I feel great!! The intense searing pain behind my patella has gone and I no longer feel as though there is glass in the joint every time I put weight through it. The knee is sore and feels very bruised and I can feel the incision points BUT it is a soreness that feels like it will be gone in a few days - a `good` sore - like after a good workout (not that I every do a good workout!)
I don`t know about the swelling as there is a huge bandage on the knee but I can fully straighten and bend the knee to a larger extent than before the op (even with the bandage) so I don`t think there is too much swelling.

Right at this moment I adore my GP who (despite being very ill himself - passing a gall stone - and STILL AT WORK) spotted the problem right away, and the anaesthetic team, nurses and surgeon. ;D

Go for the op - you will not regret it if my experience is anything to go on.

Carol

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 03:58:13 PM »
Carol  - Great news to hear!  I'm really encouraged to see your progress so quickly after surgery! Reading back through your post, I am curious - So, it did end up being a meniscal tear and arthritis? Or was it the Plica?  I wasn't sure based on the entries...    And if they cut out the tear, did they say what percentage they ended up removing?

Thanks and good luck on your road to recovery!
torn meniscus

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 09:36:44 PM »
The GP told me it was a cartilege tear but when I saw the consultant he said it was not the cartilege and mentioned plica. I was mildly surprised to wake up and hear that the 2 things the consultant said were not a problem (arthritis and torn meniscus) were in fact what were causing the pain- no plica involved.
They repaired the tear and it was reported as a small tear but the consultant was busy when he told me this so I will find out more in two weeks when I see him again.
I have had to redo the bandage today as it slipped. Hardly any swelling and 3 neat holes - 2 on the front/lower edge of the patella and 1 on top.
It has been sore this afternoon but I did do the washing up/vaccuum through downstairs and go out to check the chickens this morning - so learn from my mistake and be waited on hand and foot for 2 or 3 days!!!!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:40:44 PM by beccaben »