Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Non-traumatic subluxation of knee?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline dennisdun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Non-traumatic subluxation of knee?
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:09:34 PM »
I posted a while back that my 80-year-old mother had undergone an unsuccessful TKR.  At first her doctor didn't believe her when she said she couldn't stand, and almost two weeks went by before another source diagnosed her as having a ruptured posterior ligament.  The doctor replaced this but a couple of weeks later, she experienced painful subluxation of the knee.  She's now in a brace and the doctor was unable to explain it.

Most of the online mentions of subluxation cite trauma to the body.

Has anyone heard of subluxation occuring because of the patient putting too much pressure on the bone-- like, say, trying to walk w/o a functioning ligament?

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Non-traumatic subluxation of knee?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:48:28 PM »
Hi there,

I have never heard of this happening. It would be nothing to do with the ligament.

The knee cap must be loose for it to sublux. The muscles around the knee are also probably very weak. So, it is important to strengthen them.

My suggestion would be to get another opinion. Something definitely doesn't sound right.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline dennisdun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »
Thanks very much for your input.

Offline tee1972

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:42:46 PM »
Hello,

Yes a patella can sublux if one of the surrounding ligaments are not working. I'm having a medial patellar femoral ligament reconstruction because my patella keeps subluxing. The MPFl is not working so they are building me a new one . But, yes I would say go to another ortho. One doc is not going to admit their mistake, this gives grounds for a lawsuit, Please inform t he new surgeon, that you only want  to fix the problem not go after the other doc, most orthos are very skeptical of operating on if another doc has already done so . Asa a matter of fact when you try to make the app, I would nto mention that until you actually see the doc .

Good luckto your mother, Give herr a hug for me ; I love elderly people.

Keep us posted

Tee
1997 LR
2008 FX Patella
2008 Therapy 5 wks
2008 Knee popped out
2008 Knee popped out
2009 LR MPFL

support