Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery date: May 27th  (Read 24063 times)

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Surgery date: May 27th
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:07:46 PM »
I saw my surgeon today and we decided to go ahead with the ACLr. I was a little surprised because he was so negative about surgery when I saw him 5 weeks ago.  But, he pretty much said it was up to me and I told him that I thought this was the window for me to do it and I wanted to do it soon.  He actually offered to do it next week, but I can't make that happen work wise.  So, May 27th it is.

He wants to do an allograft.  He usually does patella grafts, but didn't think I needed that since I'm not an athlete and it tends to be more painful.  (I guess that patella grafts are stronger than allografts...this guy does a lot of knees for elite athletes, and that's what they do for them. It's quite clear that I'm not an elite athlete!)

So. Big decision is made.  Now, I just need to put things in place to make this happen.

I imagine that I should continue to rehab the knee up until then.  I have full extension and almost, but not quite full flexion. My leg muscles have all withered away in the 9 weeks since my injury, so I imagine I should work on strengthening still.  I see my PT on thursday, so I will know more then.
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

vinnic

Re: Surgery date: May 27th
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:38:40 AM »
Congrats on your decision and surgery date!  Yes, be sure to ask your therapist what you can do strength-wise to help your muscles.  I pre-habbed forever, and I think it's really paying off now!  I stuck to closed-chain exercises too for cardio and strength, such as cycling, squats, leg press machine, seated ham curl, seated hip ab/ad machine, step-ups, and knee dips using a step as well (stand on the step with bad leg sideways, and slowly lower good leg down touching the ground and then lifting back up again).  Ask about any type of water/hydro exercises too if you have access to a pool, like water jogging, swimming, etc.  Good luck and keep us posted!   

Offline Nicole43

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 07:35:40 AM »
Hi Molly - you must be relieved that you have now made a decision and now you can start planning the next 6 months. Hope it all goes well  :)
Nicole
Feb 2009 - Complete tear ACL Left Knee
Nov 2009 - ACL repair hamstring graft

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:40:34 PM »
Thanks for your support! Yes, I'm very relieved to have made the decision.  Feels like the right way to go for me.  But, after four days of feeling relieved, I'm now in panic mode trying to get things in order in advance of the op. Feels very daunting.
Ski accident 2/14/09
ACLr allograft 5/27/09

Offline sama

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »
Hi Molly,

You have plenty of time. I only had 1 week's notice and I managed to sort out everything even though I'd no idea how I would the other day. I even cooked up some dinners to freeze today so I won't have to do any cooking for a while. I'm in on Monday and when I get out on Tuesday I'm going home to my parents until I've proved I can fend for myself!

I'll be able to give you some tips as I go through it!

Sama
20/2/2009 Skiing accident on last day of holiday. Torn ACL, sprained MCL and bone bruising
27/4/2009 ACLr

Offline cmvsm

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 07:16:39 AM »
Molly - Allografts are just as strong as autografts. There have been no consistent long term studies to suggest otherwise. The main difference is going to be the skill of the surgeon implanting the graft. Another difference is the recovery. You may feel better faster in the short term with an allograft, but in the long run, the autograft may assimilate a little quicker. For an athlete, it may be extremely important to get back as soon as possible.

Remember that whichever graft is used, that graft will eventually die off and be replaced by your own scar tissue. Autograft tissue is completely de-vascularized during harvesting, so it is not that different from the allograft tissue in this regard.

In terms of strength training, work as hard as you can up until the surgery. The better shape your leg is in, the easier of a time you'll have in post op therapy.

Good luck!
ACLr and Menisectomy on 7/18/07 - Allograft

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »
My surgeon said that the difference in failure rate is in part related to the fact that you recover faster from allografts. People feel better sooner and overdo it.  Would like to see the long term studies, though. Do you have links to them? Or citations?

I've really upped my PT to try to prepare for the surgery.  Got the green light to get on the bike, so am doing that 30 minutes per day, which feels great!  Also finally just starting some quad strengthening stuff...lunge walking and up and down stairs (sort of like the old step aerobics). It's hard to see how I'll be ready in a month. I've really lost so much strength and the knee is still pretty tender, so I have to be careful about overdoing it.  It was pretty swollen again by the end of the day yesterday.

Question: What did people do to strengthen upper body in preparation for crutches? I'm actually pretty worried about this because I have an old neck/upper back injury which I fear will become aggravated by walking on crutches. I'm sort of kicking myself for not getting going on this sooner. It's something I really could have done when I was still not able to do much with my knee.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:07:49 PM by mollyc »
Ski accident 2/14/09
ACLr allograft 5/27/09

vinnic

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 09:53:36 PM »
For upper body, you could do a variety of things for strengthening but do be careful because of your previous problems.  For the back, lat rows or pull downs, for the chest do chest press or fly, for the shoulders front and lateral raises and external rotations, and then bicep curls and tricep extensions.  Push-ups, modified push-ups, or even wall push-ups work quite well too.  You can google these exercises if you're not familiar with proper technique or form, and these can be done on gym machines or at home with free weights, resistance bands, or cans of soup!  Will you be using American or the rest-of-the-world type crutches?  If you use American-style crutches, you might want to take a light weight and do some simple wrist exercises as well.  Glad to hear about the cycling and other exercises that are coming along for you!  Sounds like you're doing well pre-op. 

Offline cmvsm

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 04:51:02 AM »
Molly - Here's a recent 10 year study for your review (January 2009):

http://www.amjorthopedics.com/pdfs/038010025e.pdf
ACLr and Menisectomy on 7/18/07 - Allograft

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:50:52 PM »
Thanks for the article and thanks for the advice about strengthening upper body.

I think I must have American style crutches, since I don't know what the rest of the world uses. I did have a quick conversation with the PT about my concerns about my neck/back...he's fully aware of my issues because I worked with him for nearly two years to address them several years ago...and he said I might try what he referred to as polio crutches.  Rather than going up under your armpit, they wrap around your upper arm just above the elbow. Is that what you all use? I guess I'll practice with both prior to the OP and see which is harder on me, given my issues.

Glad that you mentioned wrist strengthening exercises.  I actually had carpal tunnel last year, so wrist might be an issue too! Such a mess I am!  The only good thing about the ACL injury is that it's sports related and not I'm-too-stressed-out-and-work-too-hard-related. Nice to mix things up a bit!
Ski accident 2/14/09
ACLr allograft 5/27/09

vinnic

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 07:48:03 PM »
Not sure if "polio" crutches are exactly the same but they do sound similar.  The crutches I've seen have the plastic that wraps up around the elbow and down to the wrist for support.  This is what most of the world uses from what I've read.  They are supposedly better as they don't stress the armpit and wrist as much.  I haven't a clue though since I've only used my American-style crutches ever.  Needless to say, I hope not to use any crutches for the rest of my life!  It'll be interesting to see which you find easier to navigate.  Glad to hear you have a good therapist though who knows you.  That should help things move along nicely.  Good luck!   

Offline blueberry09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »
hi molly

pleased to hear you have made the descision and got a date
i'm probably going to be in a week after you, so we can swop notes....

off to update my thread now

x
acl tear skiing end of dec 08
mri - complete ACL rupture, tibial contusions, menisci ok, some plc soft-tissue damage.
ACLr 12th June 09 (hamstring graft)

Offline blueberry09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 02:20:59 PM »
oh, and i meant to say, i didn't find being on crutches too much of a bother.
i used them for a few weeks after my initialy injury - they were the ones you lean your wrists on and wrap around the elbow.
the first 2 days the back of my upper arms hurt, then after that my palms and wrists hurt a bit - i have heard of people wrapping padding around the hand grip to help with palm pressure.
generally though i i walked too far with them or tried sprinting on them (ie on a very late to school morning...) i would find it put so much pressure on my good knee and leg.  so for me the limiting factor was my other leg rather than my upper body.

good luck with it all

mri - complete ACL rupture, tibial contusions, menisci ok, some plc soft-tissue damage.

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 06:18:45 PM »
Blueberry: Thanks for the crutch tips!  And, I'm glad to hear that things are moving along in a direction you feel comfortable with. I was wondering how you were doing. Let's definitely keep in touch about surgery and post-op.  I'm so impressed that you can run and do squats (from your other thread)! Wow. Not sure I'll achieve that prior to surgery. Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
ACLr allograft 5/27/09

Offline blueberry09

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:22 PM »
hi molly

yes, but i did go skiing at christmas not february so have had 2 months longer to get better.
actually it's only been the last couple of weeks i have been able to do squats - and it's sooo good being able to get stuff out of cupboards without struggling so much.
other crutches tip - get a little backpack so you can carry a bottle of drink and other essentials around with you - i found it very hard walking about but not being able to carry anything like a cup of tea.....
were you not on crutches after the initial injury??

support