Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pre-Op Derotational Tibial Osteotomy Jitters  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
Pre-Op Derotational Tibial Osteotomy Jitters
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:18:32 AM »

Hey All,

None of the "twisted sisters" seem to be posting lately, so I thought I would start a new thread. 
My surgery date with Dr. T. is three weeks from tomorrow.  Still don't know where the surgery will be, but that's a small detail.

I know that they will allow me to give 2 pints of blood here in Atlanta, and have it shipped up yonder to use after surgery.  Can I spilt up the days I have it drawn?  Should I just have it all drawn at once.  I've never given blood, and just didn't know if giving that much was going to make me woozy.

Secondly, what type of shorts did you wear until your incision healed?  It just dawned on me that my cargo shorts might hurt pulling them on and off.  Soffees are too short.  Work out capris are too long.  Any suggestions?

This will make my third major knee surgery, and up to this point, I've been in denial about having it done!  Today I started to have anxiety, because it's such a hassle, especially long distance.  I know what I have to go through to get a more pain free knee.  It will all be worth it.

Any comments or hints will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Alyce
Patella shaving & Lateral Release 6/2002
Reattachment of Lateral Retinaculum & Microfracture 6/2003.
Both procedures failed.  Reattachment was successful.
Lesion remains 15mm x 9mm x 6mm
Tibial rotational osteotomy May 2009
LPFL rebuild May 2009
Surgery for Baja Patella February 2010

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pre-Op Derotational Tibial Osteotomy Jitters
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:59:29 AM »
Hey Alyce!!!

I can't believe your surgery is in 3 weeks(or that mine was 6 weeks ago!)

I can't really answer the questions about donating blood. I was going to and decided in the end not to. My insurance wouldn't pay for it to be shipped and it was gonna cost a ton. Plus they would only let me do one unit and only the week before surgery. I left 4 days before to get up there and it didn't leave me much time. I guess in the end it worked out though. I ended up needing two units.

I didn't have my tibia done but I had my femur done just above the knee. I think the one thing I really can say is pay attention to where the seams are in everything you buy/wear. Loose is good. I was wearing PJ's pants for the first week or so that were just loose. After that I did wear some yoga/work out pants that were stretchy and fairly loose from where my incision was down.  Dr. T didn't have any bandaging or anything on my leg after the 2nd day.

I can honestly say I was pretty freaked out about 2-3 weeks out from mine, but when the surgery actually got here I was pretty content with it. Its only been 6 weeks and I'm so ready to do the other leg. I had a 14 hour trip and I'd do it all over again in a heart beat.

The few things I couldn't have done without(besides the normal shower chair etc..) is my crutches covers (www.brokenbeauties.com or you can get the ones lynds has at www.crutchbuddies.com) they were a life saver. I never had issues with my hands hurting with the exception of just sore muscles.   No slip socks...I bought my own the ones from the hospital are always uncomfortable. (Walmart here has the 2 pair for $2.50 on sale right now) We only have carpet in the living room and bed rooms so it was nice to not worry about slipping and falling.  Last thing I can think of is my squishy pillow. It's got like beads in it instead of being like a pillow. It was so much more comfortable around/under my leg.

I can't think of anything else right now. If you have questions for sure ask. I'll answer if I can.  I'm going to send you a PM with a link to my picture journal. I don't like writing so instead I've kept a photo journal of everything.

-Paige
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 01:47:45 PM »
Hi Paige,

Thanks so much for your tips.  It didn't even dawn on me about the shorts until yesterday.  I'm glad you are doing so well.  I'm sure I'll have more questions in my freak out stage!

Alyce
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline ArielF

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:45:28 PM »
Hi Alyce,
I am 8 weeks post op for HTO and TTO with Dr Minas in Boston.  I was supposed to bank 2 units but was sick with a cold when it was time for the second unit.  I have not heard of banking 2 units at a time.  For me they scheduled the appointments 2 weeks apart and 2 weeks before my surgery. My hematocrit was marginal for donating so I was quite tired and easily winded for the 24 hours after.  I didn't need a transfusion. 

As far as clothes....I live up north and it has been cold.  I wore very loose stretchy lounge pants. I had no dressing after the first few days. I had a thigh high compression sock that kept the 4x4s in place for any discharge from the drain wounds, the incision itself was glued.  On top of all that of course is the Bledsoe brace.

Best of Luck Alyce.

Ariel.

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:28:16 PM »
Hi Ariel,

Thanks so much for your comments.  I was told that I couldn't donate until 2 weeks prior to surgery.  In talking to the Red Cross, they said I have to do it a week apart at least, and a week before surgery.  I'm 19 days out (but who's counting, right:) ), and they are going to try and do it tomorrow and then on Monday.  They don't seem to be very organized.  From previous patients, I know that he gives 2 pints of blood.  I'm super healthy, and don't want anybody's blood but mine.

Anyway, sounds like you had two huge surgeries.  I appreciate you taking the time to offer advice.  I bought some loose pants, because, while it's shorts weather in Atlanta, there's probably snow on the ground in Detroit!

I hope that you heal quickly, and have less pain.

Warm Wishes for Healing,
Alyce
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:29:59 AM »
Alycee I wish I would have known when your surgery was I would have scheduled my appointment a few days later. Are you going up early any? I'll let you know how the weather is when I'm up there. Good idea buying some loose pants though. I about froze in March when I was up there in PJ's. He does seem to give two units of blood to everyone.  My hemoglobin was 12.8 before surgery and after it was 8.1 (anything under 10 is apparently bad. I had two units and it only had me at 10.1 so they were considering giving me more.
-Paige

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 04:04:10 AM »
Alyceeee. I haven't heard from you. Did you have your surgery? I've been worried/wondering about how you're doing.
-Paige

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
Her surgery was Monday and she's been having a bit of a rough time. I'm sure she'll fill you in later. Until then let's keep her in our prayers that she gets over this hurdle soon.
 ;D ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »
If you talk to her send her my love and let her know I've been thinking and praying for her.
-Paige

Offline ArielF

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:42:03 AM »
Thanks for the update Cat.  Wish her well from Ariel. It must be hard to be so far from home.

Ariel

Offline Alyce

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »
Thanks to all my knee geek buddies!  You must have been praying extra long, but it paid off.  After an 11 day stay, I'm home and getting used to rehab!  I'm at the point where just getting up, doing my PT, and taking a shower is exhausting.  It will take a long time to heal, but will be worth it.

My operative leg is still super swollen.  Even my foot and toes.  It looks like I have a cankle.  I can only do 90 degrees now, but am pushing myself.

I ended up giving 2 pints of blood in 5 days, which I did get at the hospital.  My hemacrit was 4.4 after surgery, and they wanted to give me 2 more pints, but I said no.  It's just a personal choice for me.  I know it's going to take a long time to get my iron level back up.

I'm going to write something of a post op note as soon as I get the strength back.  I just wanted to say thanks for all you prayers and good thoughts.

Aree (legal name is Alyce)
xoxo
LPFL rebuild May 2009

Offline ArielF

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 09:09:36 PM »
Welcome back Aree!!!

I'm glad your home and getting settled in.  Recovering is a lot of work.   Make sure you don't over do. Everyone is different and recovering is individual.  Listen to your leg! 

Ariel