Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Q's re: How to do I do diff things post surgery?  (Read 835 times)

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Q's re: How to do I do diff things post surgery?
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »
Hey yall.  Probably most of you know (b/c im on here all the time w/ questions) That Im having OATS on April 27, OMG thats soon. Anyway I am so stressed out about things. Like how am I gonna get in my Tahoe to go home after surgery? How am I gonna get up my 6 front steps into the house after surgery? How am I gonna get into the shower? How am I gonna sleep, My bed is really high, and I guess what I'll have to sleep on my back? Help me out with suggestions here yall ok?
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Q's re: How to do I do diff things post surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »
1    By putting your butt in first and swinging your legs around.

2    You will be shown how to do steps safely on your crutches (NWB)...

3    Leave the crutches outside the shower/ better still have a bath and do the best you can.  If you can get a plastic seat to sit inside the  shower and shower that way because it will be easier

4    Put a pillow under the op leg, and hope for sleep on your back.............again to get on the high bed....... butt first and swing yourself on.  If it's anything like i was and i e-mailed you soemtime ago about the first week, once you are on your bed you wont want to move much anyway.  So once you are comfortable.........stay in that position and avoid any un-necessary movement.

Lisa
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:37:06 PM by lis1 »
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »
Hey Lisa, thanks girl. Yea I remember some of the things you suggested earlier I guess my head is in the clouds (or in the OR!!) due to the date approaching quickly. Have you seen my other post about BCBS paying all but $180.00? I couldnt believe it. I havent heard if they are paying for the CPM, I will find out Monday when I go in for anesthesia consult and such.  They would not pay for the cyrotherapy machine, so I will have to buy that Monday at the hospital its a Berg and the cost is $225.00 pretty much comparable to internet prices. I am really really scared and nervous.  I dont remember being this way prior to other knee ops, my husband says its prob cause the MFX failure.  Oh gosh I hope this works the pain is totally unbearable.  Well how did things go with your viist to Indy?( i think im right about the location) I really would like to "talk" to you and find out how things are going with ya. Email me, k and I'll give you my number.  I would love to talk to you and get an update on things with you. Thanks again Lisa
PECAE & LOVE
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

parkgirl

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »
There are some really good suggestions already, but I would recommend practicing with the crutches before hand.  I had three flights of stairs to deal with after my surgery and had practiced going up and down them several times before (and getting around the house).  It made a huge difference. 

support