Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I'M NEW...I HAVE A QUICK, IMPORTANT QUESTION.  (Read 969 times)

Offline carm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'M NEW...I HAVE A QUICK, IMPORTANT QUESTION.
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Greetings,

I have a neighbor that is concerned about her knee. She went to get an MRI done and this is what it said:

"Diagnoses: 1. High-grade, partial-thickness tear of the ACL and the proximal thrid without a definite full-thickness tear or displacement. COORELATION IS SUGGESTED.
2. Macerated tear of the lateral meniscus versus postsurgical change. COORELATION IS SUGGESTED.
3. Oblique tear of the posterir horn of the medial meniscus through the inferior surface.
4. Chondromalacia diffusely invoving the patella and involving the lateral compartment of the knee with edema on both sides of the joint. A moderate joint effustion is seen without evidence for a loose body and a moderate effusion in the gastrocnemius//semimembranosus bursa ins present."

These are the questions she has:
1. What does "COORELATION IS SUGGESTED" mean?
2. Until she decides to repair it, whether it be therapy, a knee replacement or whatever, what does she do until then other then the obvious elevated, ice, etc. She is worried about driving to Dallas (3 hrs away). Should she? Thanks for your help!!!!

Offline dkh0728

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: I'M NEW...I HAVE A QUICK, IMPORTANT QUESTION.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
I am in no way a doctor or an OS however I would suggest she see someone sooner rather than later. I have learned the hard way of letting things progress too far before seeking the opinion of a physician.

I have no idea what kind of therapy she could try until then but it sounds like she has several things that need to be fixed. 

I understand the fear but in the long run it's best to get things looked at. At least then she will know what she's facing and what her options are.

Best of luck!

Dawn
Dawn-27
1995-first patellar subluxation
2002-meniscus repair
Fulkerson TTT and lateral release done on 4-17-09

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: I'M NEW...I HAVE A QUICK, IMPORTANT QUESTION.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:37 AM »
With multiple issues like that, it is my non medical person's opinion that she needs to do something about the knee sooner rather than later. I am guessing that she probably needs the knee braced at the minimum for the moment, so the acl tear doesn't worsen until she decides what else has to be done. It seems likely to me that surgery would be suggested for the meniscal tears, and conservative therapy and bracing for the partal acl tear. That's my theory, and that's only a guess.

She needs to see an orthopedic surgeon asap.

As for a 3 hour car drive... that depends on her, if the damage is to her right leg, if she thinks she can drive, and if she really has to go, then allow extra time to stop every 30-45 min and get out and walk around. Bring ice and ice the knee every half hour or so. If she can bring someone with her, or better yet, have someone else drive, all the better. Drive wouldn't be so bad if damge is to the left leg, but still need rest breaks once an hour, so the leg doesn't stiffen up, plus the ice.

multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.