Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Whats the best way to strengthen knee?  (Read 919 times)

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Whats the best way to strengthen knee?
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »
Hi everyone, had 2 surgerys in 2 months, i went to see my OS for the last time (i hope) and he said that he was pleased with me, but because of the nature of my injury, that he would suggest that i didnt do aerobics or any running otherwise my knee wont last very long!
I have no interest in running, and know that aerobics is also out of the question at the moment, too soon after surgery, but he mentioned the best way to avoid further injury was to keep my weight down and keep the knee tight, i love yoga and pilates and also calanetics, but I would like to know what do you do to keep your knee strong and well supported? I cant run, squat or do aerobics, but am dying to exercise so any help would be great x

gigi67

Re: Whats the best way to strengthen knee?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 04:27:44 AM »
your dr should advise you on which exercises he would like to se you doing . did he recommend rehab?
it depends on your own personal situation...straight leg raises are the most popular ones! we have all done more than our share of slr's..also are quad sets, mini squats, cycling, heel slides, wall slides,   step ups, there are  many leg exercises for knee strength( well quad strength) but theres more to it than that.. like I said it varies with each one...ask your dr more about it..tell hime to be more specific and the hamstring should not be ignored either when rehabbing.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Whats the best way to strengthen knee?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »
In terms of general fitness for meniscus deficient knees, swimming and cycling are good aerobic exercise. But only once you've been cleared by your doctor and/or your physio. They are low/non-impact activities where you can really burn calories and build up muscle.

Aqua-aerobics and aqua-jogging are also good activities if they are available in your local area. These can be included in your rehab programme at a later stage too.

Basically it is a case of mind over matter and getting yourself into some kind of regular programme and habit. It does not need to be hardcore or competitive but you want to have fun so that you keep on doing it.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

support