Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Flexation and extension pain...any advise?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline tntne3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Flexation and extension pain...any advise?
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:14:21 PM »
Hi all!

I have been doing Bikram yoga.  5 months ago I decided to hit it hard and so several yogas in a short period of time.  I ended up hyperextending my right knee.  In this yoga, you are instructed to stand on one leg with a locked out knee.  So, I took it easy for a while, resting my knee.  Now, however, the injury seems to have progressed. 

I cannot bend my knee to greater than 135 degrees without pain.  If I kneel or bend my knee to it's fullest extent I feel sharp pain, followed by aching and inflammation.  There is pain to the touch on the inside of my knee (in the area very close to where my two knees naturally touch if I am seated).  Bearing weight is not an issue, there is no difference if I'm kneeling or standing. 

There is no pain in walking, stairs, running, etc., as long as I don't hyperextend or bend too far.  If I get bumped and twist it ever so slightly, it hurts like the devil though.   

What shall I do?  It doesn't appear to be getting any better, though I fool myself into thinking it is....

Any advise would be gratefully accepted!   ???

parkgirl

Re: Flexation and extension pain...any advise?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:08:37 PM »
I would get it checked out.  You may have torn something and you wouldn't want to make it worse by ignoring it. 

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:56:40 AM »
I agree, if it's not gotten better after 2 weeks of total rest, of completely resting the knee, then gently easing back into the activity, then get it looked at. You may have torn a ligament or two. Knees don't like to have full weight in them while hyperextended, let alone one's entire body weight in one hyperextended knee.

It takes control to lock the knee without hyperextending it, I have several years in martial arts, so I know from personal experience on that one. Trying to snap out a kick without hyperextending is a challenge and takes work. It's a lot of quad/hamstring work to build up the strength to keep the knee from going backwards too far. My kneecaps scream when mine do.

Hope it feels better soon, go get it looked at if it's still bugging you, and maybe consider some knee wraps and see if that helps while you're waiting to get things diagnosed. Sometimes some support for the annoyed ligaments/tendons can help with the symptoms.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline tntne3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:39:03 AM »
Thanks a lot for the advise!  I will totally rest it (except for work) for two weeks and re-evaluate.  It's so hard to quit exercising!  But I reallllllly don't want to go to the Dr.....

support