Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need a little advice plz.  (Read 1034 times)

Offline LAPage

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need a little advice plz.
« on: April 13, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »
Good morning!  I am new to this board and new to knee pain.  I will try to be brief, but I need a little insight as I have to make a decision soon.
In November, I hurt my back carrying a child ( I am a preK teacher) and was having back spasms.  I was out of commission for approx. a week and started PT.  Well, I suppose I was walking weird because of back and I noticed my right toe was turning in.  So with the next step, I purposely stepped straight and POP.....OWWW searing pain in the knee.  I limped to school because I had missed so much already and iced it and took care of it for awhile.  It did improve but I was very limited (Oh yeah, before back I had lost 40 lbs and was exercising daily), could not exercise now.
I had a great deal of swelling, stiffness, slight but not severe pain, etc. Anyway, went back to OS and he did MRI.  MRI showed small tear in meniscus and medial degenrative osteoarthitis (not a dr. sorry).  He said my options were cortisone shot, arthoscopic surgery, or unicompartmental knee replacement.  I opted for shot as I cannot work on crutches.

Anyway, sorry so long, I go back next week and we have summer break in 6 weeks.  My gut tells me to go with arthoscopic surgery first (cortisone worked for approx. 3 weeks) and wait on knee replacement.  I just don't feel ready for that.  Is arthoscopic surgery really bad?  Is recovery pretty quick?  Thanks for any input.  By the way, I am 45 yrs old, fairly active (was more before this), somewhat overweight but not bad, and female.    Laura   P.S. Thanks again. 

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Need a little advice plz.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:15:35 PM »
I am sorry that you've had to find this board, but you'll find lots of great info here.  I'm a "listen to your gut kindof person" so when you said that you really know what you want to do.  Before replacement I'd certainly try several other options, personally.  Why not have another shot now and do the scope at the very beginning of of summer break.  Then you've got time to heal.  Just a thought.

As for a scope it obviously depends on everything the os will do as to your recovery.  And of course each one of us heals differently.  I personally am a very very slow healer - but I know that going in.  Generally recovery is pretty quick - follow the discharge orders and you'll do well.  The main thing is to keep ahead of the pain curve for the first several days - ice and rest.  Ask lots of questions when you have your appointment.  eagle

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:07:32 AM »
Read the information at this site, it will help you form any questions for your OS and give you some guidelines
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00299
Specifically what is your OS planning to do?  Trim the meniscus? Just look around?
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline LAPage

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:48:23 AM »
I believe it is just to  trim up the meniscus and look at the arthitis.  He said he was more concerned about that than the meniscus.  The swelling on a daily basis is awful.  I walk alot during the day and if I don't wear the brace, I am limping by the end of the day.  Thanks for all the input.  I am so confused about it all.  Laura

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »
I agree that you should take the conservative approach. How bad is the arthritis? You did not say that you had any knee pain before the fateful step so you might buy yourself years with the meniscus trim. You can search this site to see what people's recovery from the surgery is like. I would say from reading pretty regularly that most people do fairly well in terms of recovery with the minority that have a complication. I myself had 2 meniscus trims with a straight forward recovery.

Connie

Offline LAPage

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »
Thank you again sooo much.  I am all new to this and although I know I need something done, I don't feel ready for the other.  Laura

support