Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL tear leads to Osteoarthritis?  (Read 899 times)

Offline jian_daniel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL tear leads to Osteoarthritis?
« on: April 11, 2009, 06:41:01 PM »
Dear all:

From what I had gathered, ACL injuries will eventually lead to Osteoarthritis; it's just a matter of time. Even when there's no apparent instability, cartilage attrition is supposedly unavoidable. Is this correct? Does that mean that all ACL injuries need reconstruction?

I never had my ACL reconstructed (it was ruptured about eight months ago), and have been doing fairly well. It never gave out on me, other than the time when the injury occurred. However, my knee does make clicking noises once in a long while, especially when it has been in one position for an extended period of time (e.g. while I'm sitting), and then is moved (e.g. I'm standing up and then walking around).

Does anybody have any opinions on this? Thank you in advance!

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
Re: ACL tear leads to Osteoarthritis?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:50:51 AM »
OA can be cased by any trama to the joint.  It is its own type of OA actually.  Not having surgery might actually reduces the risk of OA developing because it avoids the trama of the op on top of the injury.

This information came from my Anatomy and Physiology textbook.  I had already looked it up do to my own OA caused by massive trama to my right knee.

Becky 
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: ACL tear leads to Osteoarthritis?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »
My acl injury and leaving it untreated did lead to OA in a very severe form but am unsure that this would happen in every case.  Some can live forever with an injury and it not lead to further degeneration, however it probably has something to do with activity levels too, and i got more active not less so with age................

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09