Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: RA Question  (Read 12885 times)

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • My Facebook Profile
RA Question
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:50:05 AM »
I have had knee pain for 8 going on 9 years. (i know that RA doesnt affect larger joints like the knee)

recently, my elbow and my right fingers and wrist were starting to become really stiff and sore. I went to the doc for a sports physical, and my mom asked her to take blood for an arthritis panel. the tests for arthritis and RA, both came back negative, but my fingers are still really stiff and sore. It makes it hard to write in school, especially cuz im in high school and we take many notes. is there a possibility that the tests can be a false negative?

thanks so much
jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: RA Question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »
20% of people with RA test serum negative for it. i too have it but test negative. also, RA DOES effect the knees, trust me, i have accidental damage in one knee and RA damage in the other. my hands, fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders also get stiff and painful, but it isnt usually a constant thing, just comes and goes (especailly in wet and cold weather).
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
Re: RA Question
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
I also had all the RA tests, which came back negative, but an MRI of my hand showed all the boney erosions causing my pain in my fingers and wrist.  Dr. said that not all RA patients have positive test results.  I'm now on methotrexate for the RA and the pain is beginning to quiet down - the the joint damage is permanent! He did, in fact tell me that it can affect the knees, particularly those that are already arthritic (like mine). 
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!