Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT-type Surgery suggested--weighing options  (Read 18232 times)

Offline slmac

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: TTT-type Surgery suggested--weighing options
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »
I love the way you worded that. You couldn't have said it better. I feel like my coming surgery is a natural thing I'm moving into, not forced.

I'm nervous about the surgery, but it's not terror because I'm afraid it's the wrong choice. As long as I don't listen to the family members who think I'm crazy to address the problem (the approach they favored is wait, wait, wait and jack everything up more and then have surgery), I do fine. Luckily they're staying silent now that I've made my choice...I understood their sides, but they just don't work for me. Like you said, it's your body and you are the decision maker. My husband has been incredibly supportive and helped me weigh all sides, but he said it's my choice.

I'm going to do a post-op diary for sure. Just from the people I've been talking to on here, I've been learning a lot of what to expect post-op: from take laxatives to expect to have a big breakdown emotionally somewhere around 10-14 days post-op. Everyone seems to agree on the wake up to take your meds and don't rely too heavily on just the pain-pump or you get a horrible shock on day three...which apparently the day that I might curse my birth. I hope I can help pay it forward too and be an encouragement to someone else.

May we both be success stories and encouragement!
Knee pain and issues during HS...played tennis
7/30/09 dislocations began
9/18/09 TTT (Fulkerson Osteotomy), MPFL Repair, and arthroscopic debridement
12/29/10 hardware removal
8/12 dislocations started
9/11/12 MPFL recon with allograft

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
Re: TTT-type Surgery suggested--weighing options
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2009, 08:15:21 PM »
It's good to hear that you're both feeling so positive about your surgeries.  Cranker, you've been through a lot of ups and downs for a while before seeing Dr. Sanders and figuring out what works best for your situation.  It's hard emotionally, and this forum is definitely a lifesaver in that respect!  Also some fantastic ideas, suggestions, etc for dealing with things post-op.  Even though I haven't had my big realignment surgery yet and have been putting it off, once I finally do go through with it I'm going to feel so much more prepared and ready for things because of everyone else here who has shared their experiences.  Keep that positive attitude and keep smiling :)

Andi

2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

support