Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondral Allograft Knee from Cadaver  (Read 32482 times)

Offline juieb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Osteochondral Allograft Knee from Cadaver
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 02:31:23 AM »
Hi, Keith.  I had my surgery May 5, 09.  I started PT before I was off of crutches and was going 2X week until insurance coverage stopped at the beginning of October.  I was getting a lot better after surgery.  Then my knee started hurting again.  I had another MRI at the end of September.  The best news that came of that is that everything is intact from the surgery.  My OATS was a success! Now my TCL is inflamed. Probably from me pushing myself too much. I have been working out six times a week, so I will be taking it easy the next couple weeks. 
My tips include listening to your doctor, question anything you don't understand or if it doesn't sound right, and most importantly - don't push yourself too much.

Take care,
Julie
LK scope May 2008
LK OATS May 2009
LK scope Sept 2010
RK scope Dec 2011
LK Uni scheduled Dec 2012

Offline joquijada

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 01:15:14 AM »
Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I had my surgery yesterday Friday April 17th, 2015. I had osteochondral allograft on my left knee. This was my diagnosis:

- Chondromalacia of patella
- Disorder of bone and carilag

I am a 40 year male. Mind you this is my third surgery (my first surgery took place in Spring 1995, my second took surgery was in October 2004.). My first two surgeries, especially the second one, vastly improved my knee condition. I believe this 3rd one will be the last as my doctor rassured me that allograft is a much more definitive solution. My Dr by the way is Robert Meislin from NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. He's very good, and he performed my second surgery as well. I was 100% happy and extremely confident in this doctor's competence. He was quite pleased with how surgery went, and so am I.

In additional to light general anesthesia, I also had a nerve block which I don't think has worn off  completely yet. I'm taking Oxycodone every 6 hours for pain, 2 aspirins every for hours to fend off blood clotting, and one antibiotic every 6 hours to avert any potential infection.

I have a fully extended and locked knee brace. I'm to start CPM machine today bending at 25 degrees 4 times a day, one hour at a time, for a total of 4 hours per day. Each day I have to increment 5 degrees of bending. Despite pain killers I am in moderate pain right now. I've been icing using a frozen bag of peas, and I find it works better than ice cubes. Maybe this is because the shape and size of the frozen peas helps distribute ice coverage more evenly, who knows. Also I've bee keeping the leg elevated. I feel numbness in the inside of my calf as well.

My doctor said I'll be on crutches for 6 weeks. I have appt in 8 days, at which time I'll learn when physiotherapy will start.

I'll update on my progress later.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:17:19 AM by joquijada »

Offline paulofea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
Hello, an update after 6 years Allograft:

I am now living in Swtizerland, and start felling a weird sensation in my knee. It start from nowhere and in a couple of days I had a clicking sound and an unstable knee.

Went to local doctor, got MRI/X Rays and two loose bodies were identified.

Had an Arthroscopy to remove the loose bodies and the doctor identified a piece of the allograft felt, and was the origin of the loose bodies. Also had a meniscus tear.

He said the rest of the allograft looks ok, and did some drilling on the damaged part, hoping to create some scaring tissue to protect the bone.

It is quite disappointing, as I was so good for so long. I think I may had pushed a little bit too much...was playing football these last 6 months....and this may have stressed the joint.

Well, back in the fight now.

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 08:06:52 PM »
Hello paolofea,

what part of the knee was your allograft in, weight-bearing or NWB?
What was approximately the size of the allograft?

Has the doctor considered using an autograph?

Thank you.

Offline msiniscal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 10:14:01 PM »
Hi Paolo,

I'm getting an Allograft within next month at HSS in NYC. How old were you during surgery? Did the doctor attribute soccer as cause of joint break down?

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 01:06:38 AM »
Hi Paolo,

I'm getting an Allograft within next month at HSS in NYC. How old were you during surgery? Did the doctor attribute soccer as cause of joint break down?
hi msiniscal,
I'm curious who your surgeon is. I'm seeing Dr. Williams at HSS and contemplating a similar surgery.
By the way, he just published some results of allograft surgery for 40+ year olds.

Have they found a donor for you?

support