Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What have i got?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Ninja_R

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What have i got?
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:27:54 PM »
Hi Guys and Girls,

Just over 2 weeks ago playing football i did something to my Right knee, my leg was fully locked out and my foot was at an angle and my weight was still going forward as i was running and i got a loud 'POP' in my knee. Straight away i was on the floor in agony and my knee was starting to swell and fill up with fluid and and could not weight bare on it and the feeling of instability. I had an X-ray and nothing on that but due to the amount of swelleing they could not say what i have done so im awaiting an MRI scan.

The symptoms i have now is fluid on the left hand side of my Right knee, not being able to bend my leg to 90 degrees backwards without sheer pain in the back of my knee almost as if im trapping something? and also extending my knee when lying down which locks out and feels as if my knee is falling to far back and the feeling of my knee falling to the left not to mention muscle spasms although now i can weight bare on it but still feels not normal.

So after all that what have i got? i would like to have my mind put at rest.

Cheers

Rob

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
Re: What have i got?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:13:37 AM »
Hey there Ninja, Im really sorry about your injury.  Ok it seems like you have the classic symptoms of an ACL tear.  I havent had this myself but I have researched knee injuries tirelessly due to my problem(OC impaction fx of the MFC). Anyway from what i have read regaurding ACL injuries, there is always a loud pop and instant swelling, with instability.  So you truly may have torn it.  Google ACL and see what you can find and if it matches your symptoms.  Good luck.
PEACE & LOVE
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline clarky_vl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:00:55 PM »
Hi,
I have to say that when I read about your accident, ACL tear was the first thing that came to my mind, like Michele says, the symptoms do sound very similar. However, there are lots of things that it could be other than ACL, this is all just a guess, and you will have to wait and see what the MRI says to know for sure, but don't be to surprised if that is what it turns out to be! Sorry about your injury, and please keep us updated!
Good luck  :)

Vicky
11/10/07 ACLr-hamstring, lat meniscectomy, microfracture
29/7/08 ACL revision-hamstring/LARS
7/7/09 ACL revision-quad/LARS
20/2/10 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
6/7/10 ACL revision-BPTB allograft
14/3/11 Screws out, bone grafts, arthroscopy.
Then: ACL revision + extra-articular repair

Offline Ninja_R

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:57:38 PM »
Vicky and Michelle,

Thanks for your replies. You are right i have been reading up on what it might be but when i think its one thing something else is almost the same but just by reading it looks like a ACL and Meniscus Tear both very similar symptoms wise so i will wait until my MRI although the OS at the time was pointing towards a ACL rupture? do them symptoms sound right for one? i hope not, anyway the waiting list at the Ipswich NHS for an MRI is 23 weeks!!!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 03:00:28 PM by Ninja_R »

Offline clarky_vl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 03:18:28 PM »
Hi,
You often get ACL tears and Meniscus Tears together- all of mine have been. ACL tear would be the 'pop' sound, swelling and instability, and you would most likely have the decreased ROM which you had to. Meniscus might also cause instability, swelling and locking. Yeah lol, there are so many knee problems around, so you really can't be sure just by trying to match the symptoms etc, and none of us know, we are just guessing.

That wait for an MRI is ridiculous. The way it was done with me was the MRI people sent me a letter telling me to book an appointment, I rang them, and could have had one within a couple of days! Well anyway, usually the manual tests are enough(Lachmann, pivot shift), as the instability can be shown and the ACL rupture demonstrated this way, and they are very accurate, many people dont have MRI scans. Have you had an appointment with your orthopaedic surgeon, and if so what was done?

Vicky

Offline Ninja_R

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
Vicky,

The MRI wait is what i read on the website, i to am awaiting a letter from the MRI people but have yet to recieve one so only time will tell. As for the OS i saw him after my X-Ray and he did some tests and was done in 5 mins and said i will see you again when you come back for your MRI scan. He refered to Michaels Owen's injury he sustained in the World Cup 06 to the same one i had which was a ruptured ACL.

Offline clarky_vl

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 03:41:39 PM »
Hi,
Hopefully you will have a much shorter wait then  :P
how strange he did not tell you more at that appointment, but yeah looks as though he expects it to be your ACL, which I am sorry about! There is a cruciates board on here if you want to look, but I suppose all you can do is wait for your MRI or to see your surgeon again. I hope your knee begins to feel better soon too- did they send you to a physio yet?

Vicky

Offline Ninja_R

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 05:56:58 PM »
Its been a while since my last post so this is how things stand.

Finally got my MRI scan on the 26th March and got my results this morning. Confirmed as a complete rupture of my ACL and a torn cartilage and im gutted, and surgery is due in about 3 months time so im off to the Physio then at least 6 months of pure rehab after the Op which takes me to 2010 so goodbye 2009 :(

Anyway looking on the bright side im not alone, so thanks to everyone for there advice.

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:24:05 PM »
What a shame but at least you have the answer. Good luck in the time being.
Connie

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »
Ninja,
I am glad that you at least have the answer and a surgery date set.  I am terribly sorry that the worst came true, but after the op and PT you should be 100 percent.  Good luck sug and let us know how things are going, ok?
PEACE & LOVE
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.