Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Childrens Knee problems  (Read 826 times)

Offline John Carr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Childrens Knee problems
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:18:55 AM »
I have a 12 year old daughter who is extremely active she plays Netball, Hockey, and swims upto county level which means she trains 5-6 sessions per week. Recently she is complaining about pains in her knees and that her leg gives way underneath her. She has been examined by doc and had XRay but nothing is showing, she is still playing and swimming but still complains about the pain afterwards. Someone suggested growing pains ignore them. ???

Offline RunningMom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Childrens Knee problems
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:54:15 PM »

Hello John ~

My son, who is also 12, does alot of physical activiity too ... basketball, running, baseball!  But he doesn't usually do any stretching before or after his workouts.

He has flat feet and achillles tendenitis ... unfortunately, due to my recent car accident and issues that I'm dealing with, I haven't been able to get him to the physical therapist until last Friday.  He recently started complaining about pain "behind" his knee. 

From the PT visit, we learned that my son has wicked tight achilles, and calf muscles ....  he now has to do particular stretching exercises.

SO, my suggestion is that maybe your daughter needs to do more stretching exercises ...   she should be stretching her quads, her hams, her calfs ... even her ITB ...  if she does some stretching exercises before and after any physical activity her knee pain may ease up or go away if it's due to a muscle imbalance.

I hope this helps ... good luck to you and your daughter!

Jane
:)

Offline deadkenny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:29:30 PM »
Just here browsing for my own knee problem at the moment, but thought I'd chip in on this one.

Is the pain she's getting on the front of the knee?

When I was about that age I had a pain there from sports and the doctor told me it was to do with stuff that isn't fully developed or joined or something like that, at that age. Yes, essentially growing pains and quite common. Sure enough it went away, but did take some years. Usually I'd get it from over exertion / stress on the knee.

But I'm no expert so it could easily be something entirely different.

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:02:02 AM »
has she had an MRI yet?
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace