Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: acl and colateral medial torn  (Read 710 times)

Offline luci

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
acl and colateral medial torn
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:01:44 AM »

Hello friends!
I am 47 years old

I had a ACL and medila collateral torn 6 weeks ago. Conservative treatment for 6 weeks today now, startting rehab already with good results. No lesions seen at meniscus at MRI

I can walk, but noises are heard in my Knee.

Half of the doctors suggest surgery and half pleed for coservative tretment. Need to make a quick decision. i am not athlete but I work in Emergency hospital .

Can anyone give thought about?

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: acl and colateral medial torn
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
Hi luci ~ Your MCL or LCL, whichever you tore, will heal eventually. My OS said 6-8 weeks & that's how long it was before he declared my MCL had tightened up once again.

Many people live w/o an ACL & do well (I am) but each time I do something that'll challenge that knee, like a twist or a stumble, there's the possibility of further damage - not to the ACL because that's already gone - but to other knee structures.

I'm considerably older than you & wasn't offered the option of reconstructing my ACL. It's been 4 years now & although I'm managing quite nicely I do know there's been more damage done to that knee. I'm not involved in any team sport but I do have a horse & I work at the farm daily which means that I'm often putting my knee in jeopardy.

Being a nurse I suspect you spend long hours on your feet walking hard floors. Nurse friends of mine have as they aged developed arthritis in their knees & hips. Sort of an occupational hazard, I guess. Perhaps in making a decision you ought to think what the future will bring given your occupation & an unstabile knee. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.