Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Suck it up Princess!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline its called deblish

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Suck it up Princess!
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »
Hi everyone.... yes, I'm new here.  Driven by a complete lack of orthopaedic training and a somewhat uncoperative knee, I thought I would see if anyone here might be more knowledgeable than me.

Not wishing to bore you all with the finer details the readers digest version is that in Nov 08 I jumped and landed with my R knee making a loud poping and snapping sound accompanied by swelling of dimensions known only to Johnny Holmes!. 

After 3 months of begging for someone to take my situaion seriously, I finally got an MRI, which I only  found out at my 3rd Fracture clinic appointment after said MRI that I had the following:

Torn Lateral Posterial Meniscus
Injured ACL... to what degree is still unknown
Oesteo heamatoma in Tibia, to a length of 6 inches down my leg
accumulated fluid and swelling from 6 inches above knee joint to about 8 inches below joint

So, was told nothing to be done, rest it, use knee brace and wait for the bone bruising to go away.  COme back and see us in another 3 months at the Orthopaedic clinic and if at this point still displaying same issues, will investigate further.

I see PT weekly/fortnightly and have now got a ossur post op hinge brace basically covering my entire leg from twat to ankle!  PT has no idea what to do and is going week to week with what to do.  She has been keeping an eye on my patella which is making it's way further and further to the R side of my knee.  I'm doing ex. to tweek the medial muscle above my knee which has all but disappeared ( can touch bone through skin)

So, I guess in short, I wonder if I should be "sucking it up" and just getting on with it. 
Is the bone bruise anything to be concerend about?...
Should I have the 1cm of menicus that is hanging off trimmed or removed?   
Should I be wanting to slam my knee into filing cabinets all day to make it feel right? lol

Hopefully if the post works, I have attached a pic of one MRI to add to the 'Wall of Shame'....

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Suck it up Princess!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:17:56 PM »
Another MRI PIC... Knee 2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:19:05 PM »
MRI 3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:19:56 PM »
MRI 4

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:05:20 AM »
Hi there,

At least you still have your sense of humor!  I would never accept "suck it up" as an answer to a knee problem.  You may want to see an OS if you have not already, or a new one if you have.  All I can say it ouch!  Sounded like it really hurt when it happened.  I do know bone bruising can take quite a while to get better.

Let us know what you discover.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.