Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I'M 48 AND HAVE A BONE SPUR AND TORN ACL  (Read 1044 times)

Offline jerryroman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'M 48 AND HAVE A BONE SPUR AND TORN ACL
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
I'M A 48 YEAR OLD MAN. IN 1980 AT 20 YEARS OLD I HAD MY FIRST KNEE SURGERY FOR A TORN MENISCUS. BACK THEN THEY GAVE YOU THE OLD HORSE SHOE CUT AND TOOK OUT MORE THAN THEY NEEDED TO. A YEAR AND A HALF LATER I HAD MY SECOND KNEE SURGERY (ON THE SAME KNEE) THIS TIME I HAD DAMAGED MY LIGAMENT AND THEY HAD TO RECONSTRUCT MY KNEE. SO HERE I AM NOW AFTER HAVING WORKED 30 PLUS YEARS AS A REINFORCING IRONWORKER. (A PHYSICALLY DEMANDING JOB ). LAST MAY I HAD SYNVISC INJECTIONS IN MY KNEE BUT THEY DID NOT HELP. WELL FOR THE PAST YEAR MY KNEE HAS REALLY BEEN HURTING ME. COME TO FIND OUT WITH THE HELP OF AN MRI, I NOW HAVE A TORN ACL TORN CARTILAGE AND A BONE SPUR. THE DOCTOR SAYS I'M TOO YOUNG FOR A KNEE REPLACEMENT. BUT IS ALSO HESITANT ABOUT FIXING MY ACL AND CLEANING OUT MY JOINT. I FEEL THAT THE REASON FOR MOST OF MY PAIN IS DUE IN PART TO  INSTABILITY CAUSED FROM MY TORN LIGAMENT. I'M GOING TO RETIRE FROM MY JOB, BUT AT THE SAME TIME I FEEL THAT I'M YOUNG ENOUGH TO HAVE MY KNEE FIXED, SO AS TO PROLONG HAVING A KNEE REPLACEMENT. ANY SUGGESTIONS? 
THANK YOU,
JERRY ROMAN

vinnic

Re: I'M 48 AND HAVE A BONE SPUR AND TORN ACL
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about the knee problems.  Read the cruciate ligament boards.  There are many posters close in age pondering ACL reconstruction.  Good luck to you!

support