Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Swollen Knee  (Read 3294 times)

Offline AJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Swollen Knee
« on: September 27, 2002, 05:53:58 AM »
I have what I have heard one time called Benign Intermittent Hydralysis (something close to this) .  My right knee swells  every 10 days like clockwork.  It will stay swollen for 3-4 days and then go back to normal.  During the good days I can do anything on it.  It doesn't matter if I stay off it on my good days or play hard it will still swell every 10 days.  Two years ago it did this for a year straight, then just tapered off and stopped.  I thought I was through with it.  Now 3 months ago it has started again.  Last time I was scoped, drained periodically/cort. shot, saw a rhuematologist, took every type of N-said, nothing changed the pattern.  No one had any answers.  It's very frustrating, I'm an elementary p.e. teacher and on the swollen days I'm pretty restricted.  Thinking of seeing an accupunturist, any one else ever hear of this?  HELP. ???

Offline ellynno

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Swollen Knee
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2002, 07:49:53 PM »
Hey AJ!

I can't say that I have any answers for you, but my knee has done something similar to yours. It bothered me three years ago with on again/ off again swelling and stiffness--the stiffness coming from the swelling, I think, and then went away. It started in again earlier this year. I never kept track of the days in between, but it has gotten worse now so that the bad days are more often. And I know what you mean about being incapacitated! It's a real pain! Especially not knowing what you've done to make it swell!

The rheumatologist did find a spot of arthrits on it last week. He gave me some samples of Celebrex, offered me a cortisone shot and referred me to physical therapy. I turned down the shot, took a Celebrex which gave me a stomach ache, and had to cancel the physical therapy for the time being due to insurance problems.

I think there's a reason for the arthritis, like maybe USING the leg when there was something wrong with it. Have you ever had a joint tap to analyze the fluid? I would like to have a doctor do this, since it's the only joint that bothers me, but I'm just such a woussie (sp?) I haven't suggested it. This is the first time I've heard of "benign intermittent hydalysis" but I'll see if I can find anything about something like that.

It does hurt, but the worst thing is the swelling, which nothing seems to help except staying off of it for a day or so. Who has time for this?

Let me know if you learn anything new about your "mystery knee."

Lynne

Offline AJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2002, 05:38:46 AM »
Lynne - Yep, that sounds just like my knee problems.  I know what you mean about it being sore, and I do believe that it is only from the swelling.  The "benign intermittent hydralysis" I got from the Arthritis Today posting on the internet.  Went there just to check things out and the "question of the week" was about this and described exactly what we've got.  Basically I think the name means that some doctor figured out that it was a condition of some sort but has no idea what to do about it.  So, let me know if you actually do find anything out on this condition.  You asked if I'd ever had my knee tapped?  I'm not sure, I've had so many different things done that I probably have.  I hope your knee gets better, I'm on a good day starting today with mine so I've got about six good ones until it swells again.  Good Luck!  
Amy

Offline ellynno

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2002, 08:35:36 PM »
Dear Amy,

I've figured out mine gets bad every Saturday. Then it takes it until Wednesday to get better. Even when I stand on it for hours on Tuesday and Wednesday it's better on Thursday and Friday. This weekend was really bad. I tried another Celebrex last night and it seems to affect me much the way antihistimines do--I feel sleepy, cranky, and sort of sick all over. I'm not taking any more of them, even though my knee feels better today.

I was curious about the knee tap (where the doctor sticks a needle into your knee and pulls out fluid) because I just keep wondering if I don't have an infection or something that could be treated. They can do tests on the joint fluid to see what's going on inside the joint.

Enjoy your good days! Later, Lynne.

support