Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OS called surgery coming up a little scared, thoughts plz???  (Read 1005 times)

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
OS called surgery coming up a little scared, thoughts plz???
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:11:32 PM »
Hey there everyone, first of all I want to thank yall for your encouragement and advice, I am so thankful for this site.  Ok so my OS called and she had a chance to look at my pics from my scope the old OS who did the MFX( that failed).  She said we are going to do a diagnostic scope, to see if the defect has increased alot.  She said if it hasnt increased that much she thinks she'll be able to do the OATS after the scope. If the defect has increased alot she will go ahead and close up and procede to getting the Allograft arranged. This all teeters on what her partner who does joint replacements says. Because I also have patellofemoral OA, so she is not so sure that a PKR would work better.  Shes hoping to hear from him in the next few days, and I have an appt March 19, to see her and set up the surgery, she wants to do it between April 15 and 30.  My insurance bcbs of nc however considers OATS investigational, but I read on their site that if the proper medical documentation is provided that MAY pay. I was looking on the net and I came across a page from bcbs of tn and guess what the do cover OATS, what the heck?? Why would a national insurance company cover a procedure in one state but not another?? My OS says she has got numerous bcbs patients covered and she doesnt think she will have a problem with getting me covered.  I sure hope not, I am so ready to get my life back, I took for granted so many things like getting up off the toilet, walking up and down stairs, sleeping, walking, shopping, working and even housework.  She did increase my pain meds I was on loratab 7.5/500 and she changed it to Norco 10/325, man I hope it works.  I also take 200mg of celebrex everyday.So anyway thanks for letting me vent and thank you so much for your continued support and encouragement as well as your advice and shared stories. I will be getting you all posted, and as always PEACE & LOVE.
Michele
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:06:40 PM by michelel »
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline SarahMN

• Regular Poster
Re: OS called surgery coming up a little scared, thoughts plz???
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:01:45 PM »
Hi,
You are in my prayers for a good surgery and outcome! 
Sarah MN
3/25/09: R Knee: Arthofibrosis (LOA), chrondoplasty, excise plica, anterior interval release.
11/12/08:  L Knee: LR, Chrondoplasty of patella & MFC, Excise Plica, Synovectomy - 2005-2008: 12-16 weeks bi liateral knee injections with steroids. 
---& tried Synvisc, nothing but cost & 9-10 pain.

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:50:37 PM »
Thank you so much Sara.  I cant wait ( that seems crazy to say that you cant wait for an operation) But pain relief and a nornal lifestyle has been a long time comin'.
Peace & Love
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline SarahMN

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:02:37 AM »
I understand completely.  I have fluctuated from defeat and giving up. to PLEASE fix me and get the surgery done with.  I nearly had a 2nd LR done on my other yet untouched knee, the week before Xmas.  I was begging for it due to the pain.  An unexpected family death happened, and I put it off.

I am glad I did wait ultimately, because I did get some more opinions.  Now I know I should consider something besides another LR.  The one I had 16 wks ago isn't going so well. 

But I am seeing another OS for an opinion in 2 weeks, and I sure will be glad to hear what my options are.  I would love to have my knee/s fixed.  I am hating the pain and limbo.

And I do not want to just give up and live with RICE and little to no walking possible. 

I am very glad for you getting up the courage to do the surgery, and carry on with your recovery and life. 

I look forward to hearing from you on the other side.  Maybe we can even go for a walk some day!  What a concept.  I would love it.  I have at least one more surgery to go, what I don't know.  But I would love to be where you are, knowing what to do, and getting it done. 

Cheers, Sarah
3/25/09: R Knee: Arthofibrosis (LOA), chrondoplasty, excise plica, anterior interval release.
11/12/08:  L Knee: LR, Chrondoplasty of patella & MFC, Excise Plica, Synovectomy - 2005-2008: 12-16 weeks bi liateral knee injections with steroids. 
---& tried Synvisc, nothing but cost & 9-10 pain.

support