Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Don't know what is wrong with my knee  (Read 1496 times)

Offline wcjet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Don't know what is wrong with my knee
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »
Hello,
I hurt my knee a couple of days ago & I'm trying to figure out what is most likely to be wrong with it.

I was skiing this Saturday (3 days ago) when I fell on my right side, and my left ski caught the snow pulling my left leg to the left & back of me.  I heard/felt a popping in my knee & had immediate and intense pain.  I sat for about 4-5 min catching my breath & waiting out the pain.  When I tried to stand my knee hurt REALLY bad & I fell back to the ground (not sure if my knee gave out or I just flopped back down because it hurt).  When I stood on my good leg & tried to put weight on my left leg - again extremely painful & it just felt "off" (a poor description I know, but it hurt so much that I didn't really pay attention to whether or not there was any lack of support).  I went to the ER and while I was waiting my knee didn't hurt much - just a slight throb of pain.  I could (and still can) put a bit of weight through my toes & it didn't hurt, but when weight is through my heel it really hurts.

During my X-rays they had to rotate my knee and extend/bend my leg - this hurt.  The Dr said that she didn't see any breaks and that her gut said that it is just a sprain but that she didn't know for certain.  She put me in a full leg brace/crutches and set me up with an orthopedic surgeon to check-up in a week.  Usually my knee still doesn't hurt just sitting there (there's a sharp pain every once in a while, for no apparent reason), both my knee and foot are still fairly swollen, but sometimes I think it must be getting much better.  Having said that, sometimes I start to trip up with the crutches I'll end up putting weight on it through my heel, or accidentally twist/rotate my knee and it is extremely painful - but it's internal, not external.  I can poke all around my knee & it doesn't hurt - it is just a bit tender in a couple of places.  Also, it is painful to bend/extend my leg much at all.

My question is, does this sound typical for a sprain, or something that could require surgery.  I know you can't diagnose at all, I just would like to know what might be most likely.  I work a full-time & part-time job, and go to college full-time - so I have a really tight budget, and really need to plan on any additional medical expenses.

Thanks for any help you can give - I greatly appreciate it!

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Don't know what is wrong with my knee
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »
Sounds an awful lot like a torn ACL to me.  :(

Offline wcjet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:52:27 PM »
Is it common for those to not be painful to the touch?

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:58:37 PM »
Right.  It won't be painful to touch, but it will feel unstable when you stand on it.

Offline wcjet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the info - i really appreciate it!

support