Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I need urgent reply please!  (Read 1187 times)

Offline miss worried

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I need urgent reply please!
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »
I have injured my ACL ( total tear) and a grade 1 tear to my interior ligament, I did an MRI  and saw several surgeons too. It's been four weeks exactly now. I have decided to have reconstructed surgery...but the ptoblem is when and which kind. I'm scheduled for friday the 13th. but the problem is that my knee is still stiff and I haven't got my full range of motion yet. Some doctors say that I should get better and get rid of my brace (donjoy axom) with physiotherapy,before the surgery ..while my doctor says it's ok to go ahead and do it since the swelling is gone...furthermore he believes that the bone tendon bone method is the best way, while  2 others suggested the hamstring ...I'm confused and tired...I'm 36 and a mother of three, I enjoy doing sports all kinds,yoga, taebo,skiing walking,...I want this to end but is too soon for surgery? Please  advise..........

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
Re: I need urgent reply please!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 02:19:39 PM »
I think its great you got differnet  opinions. I think it depends on the degree of your injury and how strong your leg is already. If you were already strong before the surgery then hopefully with the swelling down the surgery will be okay to do without PT before but defineitly do it after. If you doc is not suggesting PT after surgery I would look into another doctor.

We all hear you on being confused and not knowing what to do. It is so hard. But luckily there is the website and the internet to look into things. But that can also be bad and confusing. Its great to get some info and facts and put some questions together from that to ask your doctor. I didn't have as much info when I had one of my surgeries and I made a choice I probably would not have. I wish I could help with more info on your choices. Hopefully someone on here has more info on them and can help you. From my experience if you are very wary don't do anything yet. I'm not sure if that is good advice or bad. But I jumped in and should have looked into other procedures and I feel I picked the wrong one. I hope I am not making things worse for you. The other thing is make sure you feel comfortable and confident in your doc.

good luck and keep us updated.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:46:01 PM »
Post again in the Cruciate Ligament section and also start doing searches on this web site. It is unique in the info it has on it - doctors, surgeon, physios and patients all contribute.

No one can answer your question for you but you can learn from here and go better prepared into you next meeting with the doctors.

Start in the Information Hub and follow the links to ACL injuries and rehab: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1761

Then you will understand more about your knee and the replies that you might get.

The 13th is only 5 days away and you seem to be unsure - the outcomes tend to be better if there is no swelling and you have full range of movement i.e. can go from fully extended (straight) to fully bend.

It is useful for people to know where you are based as well as your age/background as every country seems to have different possibilities for operations and everyone's rehab is very different.

Sue  ;) in Germany
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline miss worried

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »
Hi ,thanks for replying so quickly (lady and  kaputt_knee)...I spoke to my doctor today and told him to postpone my surgery for another two weeks until my knee regains some motion...I feel a bit relaxed now. I will continue PT and he will see me again in a few days. I think I'm pretty comfortable with him he is very nice and patient. I have read a lot, I have been reading since the day I fell (one month now)...so from that angle I have it covered...but I think you learn the most from  people who have been there, that's the reason why I wrote asking for help. All my aquaintences have had their surgery a year or so later than the  initial injury so I wanted to know if anyone had a similar case. Anyway if anyone can add any info please do.
Kaputt_knee I hope your knee is not really kaputt !!!!  :o

Offline MistyMountain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 07:09:01 AM »
Hello there,
I am not that familira with this type of knee injury and I amnew to the board but thought i would drop a note to wish you well. I am not stranger to surgery (various kinds) and wanted to send out some good vibes for you....
hang in there
i think postponeing and trying more of what you have been doing is a good idea....
Wishing you well..
MM/Chrissy

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:17:49 PM »
My injury isn't similar to yours, however, since you were hesitant I think you made the correct decision to post pone the surgery.  I too didn't totally research my procedure and the o - I might have chosen to do it differently if  had.  We all make the best decisions with the information we have at the time.  Good luck.  eagle

Offline miss worried

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:43:43 PM »
I was wondering if I you might know of someone with a total ACL tear, in the thirties, who has not done any surgery, and can still do all kind of sports with the right PT  ( of course by totally strengthening the muscles). Do you think it's doable ?
Thanks for all the good wishes and support......

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »
A friend of mine had ACL tear and surgery when we were much younger. I want to say 20's. And he did play sports still. I'm not sure how he felt doing it or after though. Since then he had a very serious motorcylce accident and now has difficulty playing but he still does. 
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008