Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is it OK to go ice skating 3 months after surgery?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is it OK to go ice skating 3 months after surgery?
« on: March 08, 2009, 04:34:10 AM »
I had a lateral release on my knee exactly 3 months ago today.  Aside from a tiny bit of tightness and some swelling, I feel perfectly fine.  My friends keep inviting me to go ice skating with them but I keep declining, not wanting to delay my recovery or injure myself.  In a few days, my high school is having a big event at the ice rink and I would really love to participate in it.  Do you think that it is too early for me to attempt to skate?  I would just be doing laps around the rink, no spins or jumps or anything complicated like that (I have a hard enough time just keeping my balance).

Thank you  :)

gigi67

Re: Is it OK to go ice skating 3 months after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:46:38 PM »
ummm well we all have to decide what is best for our situtaion but in all honesty if you have a hard time keeping your balance...I personally would not go...I mean go and watch and be happy just to watch and be among friends but  I dont think id do that yet.
your friends may not understand what you have been throouhg physically..most dont and they dont understand why we can no longer do the things we use to..dont let anyone peer pressure you into a set back...those really stink..take it from me I know all about set backs..talk about frustrated..if you get frustrated now from not being able to skate...you really would be upset if you set yourself even further from the goal by injurying things in there.

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:24:31 AM »
Thank you gigi.  I'm not happy about it, but I think I'll just have to sit this one out.  :( I definitely will ice skate again, but the more I think about it, I think it's a bit too soon to try.  You are spot on with friends not understanding my situation.  They just don't seem to grasp that I have limitations.  Thank you again for your reply!

Offline miss worried

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:51:45 PM »
Hi !! just wanted to tell you good choice...don't do it, it's too soon...your friends r not in yr shoes so they don't really know...remember all the tough times you went through just getting to were u r now... since you still don't have good balance a small innocent push from someone could get u back to square one. Don't worry you'll have plenty of time to do the things you love to do ,just give it time.
Enjoy doing the things you can. Like walking (I'm still in the limping phase)