Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: CAN ANYONE HELP!!  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Ladyann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
CAN ANYONE HELP!!
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »
I am having to consider a replacement knee and ofcourse I am trying to find out as much as I can regarding the operation etc.

I have been told of a programme on t.v. that explained a new procedure whereby the surgeon used a 'female' replacement knee rather than a generic knee.  He also used a laser to align the replacement knee rather than doing it by sight.

Has anyone any knowledge of this i.e. the surgeon's name or the hospital's name or for that matter any information regarding the t.v. programme.

Any help or information would be gratefully received.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: CAN ANYONE HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 07:33:14 PM »
Hi There!

Yes, you can get gender specific parts from certain manufacturers - I think I might be right in saying that certain OS's deal with a particular make of part - so if you wanted a particular one you would have to match a surgeon to the part !   

dont know about the use of lasers but I know I had a computer navigated TKR  - my knee was made by AGC Biomet europe (not gender specific)  - This resulted in an extra couple of holes above and below the TKR scar.

Just out of interest where are you from?

Sorry but dont know about the tv programme.

Good Luck
Anje
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »
My OS said that he thinks the gender specific knee implants by ZImmer are just a selling ploy. They always existed--smaller size for women--just they relabelled ones. I think Biomet is now making an implant which is customized by taking the measurements from an MRI for the implant,and I'm assuming what I'm thinking of is what Anje had.

COuldn't help you about the TV program as I'm in the US.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 10:09:56 PM »
Yup thats the one ! and its good! (most of the time)
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline cboden51

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 11:21:17 PM »
I had a custom one made by Conformis. I had seen a program last year about using a navigational system to place the components but I am in the US. When you have a Conformis when they make the implant they make a "pattern" for the doc to use when making the cuts - because it is made just for you it involves less cutting. I had a uni and am very pleased with the results.
Connie

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 02:56:52 AM »
The last time I was at the OS office waiting to be called in, a man came in, spoke to someone at the reception desk who pointed to a woman waiting in one of the chairs. SHe happened to be sitting near me and he went up to her, said his name and then they walked in together to the part of the building where the exam rooms are. He was carrying a Biomet box (I noticed and I bet she was getting one of those personalized knees as well.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

support