Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Synovectomy VS. TKR  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Lvc595

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Synovectomy VS. TKR
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »
I have had one Dr. tell me I need TKR( both knees)  and another that said that he can do a synovectomy surgery.
From what I am reading about synovectomy it might be a difficult surgery not like haveing a meniscus tear. I am so confused I have no idea what to do. Will I have as much trama to the knee? I like the idea of saving my knee but I do have bone on bone so I don't really understand how that will help.

Can someone help?

I'm new to the this board and thankful there might be someone help shed some light.

Lori
Lori

Offline MoLu

• Regular Poster
Re: Synovectomy VS. TKR
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:04:01 AM »
Hi Lori-
I'm not sure what your dr is getting at to suggest a synovectomy if you have bone on bone pain.  How old are you?  A synovectomy will remove a damaged or inflamed synovium so is this what is bothering you?  I suggest you might like a second opinion.  It most certainly couldn't hurt to have a clearer picture of what you really need done.  I've had several synovectomies but never a meniscus tear so I can't compare the surgeries for you.  They have been hard surgeries but again that's all I've had so hard to compare to other repairs.  Did end up having a TKR last Oct and it seems to have helped.  Hope you get some answers.  Good luck.
Martha
Synovial Chondromatosis
9/16/05 Frontal synovectomy and tumor removal
10/26/05 Posterior open knee surgery and synovectomy with tumor removal
3/8/06 Disease is back
4/26/06 Frontal arthoscopic synovectomy and posterior open knee synovectomy
6/23/06 Disease is back
7/24/07 Synvisc
10/23/08 TKR

Offline Lvc595

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »
I'm 54 and have had two surgeries in that knee, one lateral release in 1998 and a meniscus tear and clean up in 2002.

I dislocated it in December when I slipped on the ice. Of course there was lots of fluid afterwards.
When the Dr. looked at the mri there was an fluid by my kneecap. He then said it was synovial fluid and I would need a Synovectomy.
Unlike other posts on this website he said he would make three small incisions.

He also looked at my X-ray and said he has seen worse knees. After I left the office I realized he was looking at an image that was not weight bearing.
That x-ray shows I am bone on bone so it looks like I need another trip back to his office.

Why would you have had to have several Synovectomys? Does the fluid always come back? Is it an easy recoup time similar to a meniscus tear?

Lori

Offline MoLu

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:01:25 AM »
Hi Lvc595-

I have had several synovectomies because I have a disease that produces soft tissue tumors from a diseased synovium.  Unfortunately it keeps coming back so that is why so many visits to the OR!  Your synovium must be inflammed and producing excess fluid and that is why the dr is suggesting surgery.  A cortisone shot might be a suggestion that is not so invasive and would help the excess fluid but if your knee is bone on bone shots are not very helpful.  Something to discuss with your doctor.  Three hole surgery is usually easier to recover from vs an open procedure and would be definately easier to recover from than a TKR.  But if you are indeed bone on bone it sure sounds like to me that you need a TKR.  You really should get more clarification from your doctor to understand what is really going on with your knee.  Good luck.
Martha
Synovial Chondromatosis
9/16/05 Frontal synovectomy and tumor removal
10/26/05 Posterior open knee surgery and synovectomy with tumor removal
3/8/06 Disease is back
4/26/06 Frontal arthoscopic synovectomy and posterior open knee synovectomy
6/23/06 Disease is back
7/24/07 Synvisc
10/23/08 TKR