Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Newbie: Have had synovectomy approx 6 weeks ago  (Read 1904 times)

Offline tornado

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Newbie: Have had synovectomy approx 6 weeks ago
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:15:46 PM »
HellI o everybody. I am pleased to have found this forum and read all of your experiences.

I would appreciate some guidance.  I originally had a arthrosocopy and was diagnosed with synovium chrondomotosis. Six weeks ago I had open surgery for a synovectomy. The woondis approx 10" on the front of my knee.

I am walking but limping (not needed a stick since about 3 weeks). My knee feels very stiff at times and swollen (fluid?).

Can anyone give me some idea of how long it is typically to regain the knee strength. (I am 50). I am exercising carefully in a gym and have done some swimming. 

Thank you

Offline Lvc595

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Newbie: Have had synovectomy approx 6 weeks ago
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:48:54 PM »
I can't seem to find out how to post on this website but my question was about having a synovectomy.

I was told I need a TKR but then another dr said he would want me to have a SYNOVECTOMY.. . Is this going to be as painful as a TKR? I'm not sure what I should do.

I have had lateral releases but how painful is this?

Lori

Offline MoLu

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:19:37 AM »
Hi Tornado-
I have the same disease and as you can read on my signature I've had quite a bit done on my knee due to it.  I've just recently ended up having a TKR due to arthritis from the disease and/or multiple surgeries.  It happened to set in so fast.  No arthritis was present at my first arthroscopy but by the end of the first year and 3 surgeries later they were recommending a new knee.  I couldn't believe how fast it all set in.  It took a year after the string of surgeries before I started feeling more like myself but the swelling has never left.  I regained most of my strength thru swimming also but always felt very fragile and tippy.  I'm 58.  I must say after having the TKR I really do feel better.  Much more stable and have worked hard in rehab to get my strength back.  It's been about 3 1/2 months and I feel the best I've felt in a long time.  But the knee is still swelling and the disease can come back even after a TKR.  But my knee does not have any arthritis in it now!  But I still have a crappy synovium so I suppose that is why the swelling still.  Everyone says to give it a year after a TKR before complaining so I'm still hoping.....  I hope you do well and continue with your rehab.  It's so important.

Lvc595 - a synovectomy is not nearly as painful as a TKR.  A TKR is very painful the first few weeks.   Even with an open synovetomy it is not as painful as a TKR.

Good luck to you both.
Martha
Synovial Chondromatosis
9/16/05 Frontal synovectomy and tumor removal
10/26/05 Posterior open knee surgery and synovectomy with tumor removal
3/8/06 Disease is back
4/26/06 Frontal arthoscopic synovectomy and posterior open knee synovectomy
6/23/06 Disease is back
7/24/07 Synvisc
10/23/08 TKR

Offline tornado

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:51:50 AM »
Hi

To the question re how painful is a synovectomy.  My surgeon told me the incision I had was the same as TKR. However the actual surgery obviously cannot be as bad.  As for the pain, I felt virtually nothng due to the pain relief I received. The pain and discomfort starts when you have to move the leg and bend the knee. Its surprising that within 36 hrs I went from not being able to lift my leg, to a zimmer frame, to crutches, to a walking stick and descending and ascending the stairs! and then discharged.

tornado

Offline Lvc595

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:18 AM »
The Dr. told me I had synovial fluid which is why he wants to do a Synovectomy.
I am confused, isn't this just fluid on the knee which can be helped with a cortisone shot?

He said he would only do 3 small incisions and clean out the infected cells. I guess I need another meeting with him.
I just do not want to go through another trauma if I still need TKR. I'm not sure if the fluid will come back and it will be all  for nothing.

I'm 54, and have had 2 other surgeries on that same knee.
Lori

support