Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My Surgery Questions  (Read 1018 times)

Offline KayteRose

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My Surgery Questions
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:01:14 AM »
Well thanks to Kathy I have learned a lot, I am getting a (TTT) and some stuff released, I am really young and don't understand.
I have a couple questions for anyone who has got this surgery:
How much pain am I going to be in?
When can I start walking/running again?
When can I start to began to pitch again?
Will I come back 100%?
What limitations will I have first couple weeks?
How is the physical therapy, is it hard?
What should I do daily?
Whats the pre-op stuff I should be doing?
How can this recovery time be quicker, like what can I do?
Thanks for all the help
Im Lost , haha
Thanks
Kayte Rose

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: My Surgery Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »
Hi Kayte,

I wanted to wish you all the best for your surgery.

These are all questions you should be asking your surgeon. Everyone is different and recover at different rates.

I can tell you that your knee will never be 100% again, but probably a lot better than it is now. The PT shouldn't be too bad. As long as you follow the advice of your PT and surgeon you will be fine. In the first couple of weeks it is important to ice, keep up your pain meds and regularly do your exercises.

When is your surgery ?
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »
Hi Kayte,
I hope your surgery goes well.

They are good questions for your surgeon. I had a similar surgery 20 years ago so I will try to answer some for you - but my experiences will be different to yours - as the type of TTT they did on my back then was different to what they do now and they didnt think PT was so important like they do now either (and it is!).

You will have a lot of pain immediately after the surgery but they will give you pain meds to control that. They will likely immobilise your leg after it (I had a plaster of paris cast, these days they have much nicer immobiliser braces), within a few days the big surgery pain will be down a lot. After that it just recedes until they take off the immobilser. Then it hurts having to use your leg again - but its totally managable.

Depending on the state of your leg prior to surgery, and exactly what they do with it during surgery, you will walk again with no crutches somewhere between 2 months and 4 months after surgery - for me I could walk ok after 3 months, but I was still weak so took crutches with me outdoors (for school etc...) even though I probably didnt need them as long I used them. Its very individual though, depending on the PT protocol etc... it could be sooner than that. Running will naturally follow walking, you will know when youre ready.

!00% - probably not - but you may get to within 95% of pre op - but once its been operated on its never quite the same again - but functionally you may not notice much difference, but you may have odd aches and pains.

Depending on how they immobilise it (if indeed they do - I have no idea what exacty they are doing!) your limitations will be life on crutches with a straight leg. Its not that hard. You get used to it pretty quickly.

Yes physical therapy is hard. The more you put in the more you get out. But they only push as hard as you can take - you are not made do anything you cant do. The best relationship to have with your physical therapist in one where you feel they are torturing you - generally the ones who torture you are the best ones :) You start out hating them, then by the end you love them for giving you your leg back!

You need to ask your doctor what you should be doing pre op and daily - it depends on the nature of your issue.

What you can do to speed up recovery is eat properly - make sure you are eating a good clean healthy diet with lots of protein for muscle building and also to treat your physical therapy like a religion and practice it religiously - always try to do a little more than you are asked to do by your physical therapist - the harder you work, the quicker the recovery. Be sure to rest properly and to ask any questions about things you dont understand - like if a certain exercise hurts etc... its important that you concentrate on form and technique and dont be lazy about the exercises.

You will do fine - I remember the pain from my first dislocation far more clearly than the pain from surgery - so its not THAT bad :)
xx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:18:46 PM »
Kayte,

Like you i was 10 when i started dislocating, but unlike you i did not get mine totally fixed till i was 40.  I was 14 when i had my first surgery, a LR, Medial reefing,  but didn't really help.  I thought that my leg would never be okay because I wasn't very devoted to my home exercises, so that's what i got.  Well i found out differently 26 years later and several doctors later that my problem was never sufficiently fixed and there were things they could do to fix it.  So I comend you for getting it done now.  Dislocating for 30 years of my life has played havoc on my mental stability ie: I'm still nervous about dislocating.

Tanya did a great job in answereing your questions so i'm not going to answer everyone of them also, i think I'll just add a few comments.

Physical therapy is indeed hard, especially if you have ROM issues, Work on bending that knee as soon and as often as you can.  Get someone to push on it for you because you can only infilict a certain degree of pain on yourself.  PT will be your life line.  (It was for me)  Let them do what they need to do to get that knee back in good working order.  I had such a great realtionship with my PT, he was really invested in me so find someone who is invested in you.

Tanya is right by having a good healthy diet, and working on your exercises you can improve your chances of speeding up the recovery, but don't overdo it.  this was my tendency.  your knee and body will have been through alot, make sure you elevate and ice regularly.  i often would be up on my leg way to much and it would swell so much that my Pt sessions were even more difficult.  I found the hardest time to start taking care of my self was when I started to feel a little better.  i wanted to get out get back to my normal activities and i would do things that the leg just wasn't ready for (like shopping at the mall, going on long car trips, taking my kids places)  If you say I'll ice and elevate later.  Trust me later never comes your always busy doing something else.  stop what your doing and ice and elevate now.   

I had a real hard time telling people no when they came and asked me if i wanted to do something, for i wanted to do it all but what happened it waould force me into situations that my knee would pay for later with soreness and swelling.  My recovery was really long and part of it was do to my desire to do too many activities.  hopefully this makes sense.

You'll do great, keep us posted

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment