Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone have a chondroplasty?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Anyone have a chondroplasty?
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »
Hi there,

I had a chondroplasty done on my left knee 2 years ago along with ttt, LR, and Medial reefing.  The affected area for the chondroplasty is behind the kneecap.  Although it doesn't hurt, I feel pressure in this area, whenever I walk, stairs, pressure increases when doing pushups, planks, and walking down steep hills.  Is this normal?

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: Anyone have a chondroplasty?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:56:43 AM »
Hi Annette,

Chondroplasty basically means any surgery to the cartilage, so it could conceivably include more than one type of surgery. I had my cartilage trimmed up when I had both my knee surgeries. Anything that involves trimming cartilage means that you have some cartilage damage there. As a result, your cartilage is thinner than normal and the pressure you feel is probably due to your underlying bone feeling the pressure that's normally cushioned by your cartilage. As cartilage damage progresses this pressure becomes more and more uncomfortable. Keeping your leg muscles strong will help reduce the pressure through the joint and will keep things from getting too uncomfortable. You've had surgery to correct the alignment issue, so things will hopefully stay as they are for a long time!!

Kathy

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
Thankyou, 

Your simple explanantion makes total sense to me, i have always felt something there but in the last 4-5 months the pressure has seemed to be greater especially with certain movements and exercises, its not always painful but bohtersome.  When I had an MRi in Sept.  OS said cartilage grew back but could already see wear and tear.  This is all making sense now.

Thankyou,
Annette
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 08:37:08 PM »
Kathy,

So do most people that have a chondroplasty have this pressure behind their kneecap?  It's really disconcerning and i'm not sure If i should go in and see the OS or what. 

My history is that I waited too many years to get my knee fixed the first time around and so i'm trying not to wait to long before going back in and having him look at it.

Annette
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:05:45 PM »
http://draubreysmith.com/knee_chondroplasty.htm

In addition to the other work of removing any uneven surfaces and tears of the menisci or loose fragments from the knee joint itself, the articular surface of the joint can have significant arthritis. The operation that might be performed is to drill holes in this area of arthritis and create tiny little "microfractures" to promote healing and a scar tissue response.

I had my chrondroplasty in weight bearing areas of the MFC and LFC

I was never the same afterwards I had intense bone pain.   I had a TKR a year after it.

Pressure is not that bad of thing. Your knee will never be the same.  Its all about how much pain you are in.

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
Thankyou,

My pain is always after wokouts, and during cycling class, and intermittent at other times during the rest of the day.  I've had one round of synvisc and found them successful. 

I live with constant pressure in the area, and extreme pressure during some exercises, to the point I can't stand it.

thanks for that link, it gave me more insight  into this procedure

Annette
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc