Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Words of Wisdom?  (Read 966 times)

Offline Bionic Knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Words of Wisdom?
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
Hi all!

So Im new to this sight and you help would be much appreciated!

I am a 22 year old female and have a history filled with knee problems, surgerys, and physical therapy. I am about to schedule my 6th surgery and would like to get some feed back from anyone who knows about it or has had to done. The procedure is called the Fulkerson Porcedure with an Anteromedial (Distal) Tibial Tubricle Transfer....sounds intense. I have a history of frequent sublexations and dislocations and have had lateral releases in both as well as Trillat (??) procedures to correct the Q angles...they have helped but not enough. The next step is the surgery I listed above.

Feed back? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Bionic Knees

Offline strosa8

• Regular Poster
  • Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. -- Yoda
Re: Words of Wisdom?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »
Bionic knees,

you actually just posted on my wall!  I am having the TTT done in a  couple months.  I wanted to ask you, how are your trochlear grooves?  Mine are not the normal "V" shape, they are actually a bit flattened, so that makes my kneecaps want to slide out a lot more.   So if yours are flattened, you will at LEAST need the TTT in force the kneecap in the center.

I don't remember if you said this, but do your kneecaps sit to the outside of the trochlear groove normally?

When is your surgery scheduled for?

Hope to hear from you!
Shannon
08/2001- Rt. knee subluxation. X-rays show patellar maltracking and malalignment in both knees.
02/2004- Rt. knee dislocation, complete muscle atropy and PT.
05/20/2009- Pre-op appointment.
05/21/2009- Right TTO, MPFL reconstruction, scope
Summer 2010- left knee TTO and MPFL

Offline Bionic Knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the response! I hope my suggestions help!

I have what is called Patella Alta which means my knee caps are (way!) too high on my leg so when I was a baby my knees never 'saw' the knee cap and werent able to develop a groove. I dont have much of a groove on either knee.

My knees have been dislocating since I was about 10 and have had two TTTs already as well as 3 lateral releases and another 'clean up' surgery.

I have actually scheduled the surgery because I am very hesitant to get another because the previous ones have not worked. But after seeing my OS again I am 85% sure it will happen in June....while Im still young and healthy.

Good luck with yours! Let me know how it goes or if you have any more questions.

Offline strosa8

• Regular Poster
  • Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. -- Yoda
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »
How old were you when you had your other TTT surgeries?    Were you a student or working?

I am a graduate student, and I'm in the middle of completing my thesis and doing research.  So I am looking forward to getting back into the lab asap, but my OS says "don't even think about working for at least 4 weeks."  I will take her advice about this, but I've been hearing I won't be able to drive for a while after that (I'm getting my right knee done first, and left knee the next summer).    When you had your right TTT, how long was it until you could drive?

Did you do a lot of pre-op strengthening?  I'm doing ellipitical 3-4 times a week, total body strength training, and I've just added SLRs to my routine.  I can't do leg press or other normal leg machines.  I just want to be in the best shape possible for this surgery.  I'm trying to lose those last 10 pounds as well, because I figure I'll gain it back in post-op!  haha.

Best,
Shannon
08/2001- Rt. knee subluxation. X-rays show patellar maltracking and malalignment in both knees.
02/2004- Rt. knee dislocation, complete muscle atropy and PT.
05/20/2009- Pre-op appointment.
05/21/2009- Right TTO, MPFL reconstruction, scope
Summer 2010- left knee TTO and MPFL

support